Honey Yeast Wild Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picotto

Reaction score
Hello guys! I've been researching online about honey yeast and honestly I couldn't find much about it.

So I took the chance and I got some raw unfiltered honey. Made a basic wort: Pilsner + Wheat + Caramunich. And some hops. Later I added 1L of honey. I let it sit until I got some activity. I must say at first I was very worried. Nothing had happened.

At the 4th day. ACTIVITY!! and now a Krausen has formed. So far smells like flowers, and of course honey.

I'll post the results of this experiment.
IMG_20180329_105826.jpg
IMG_20180329_105817.jpg

Raw honey contains yeasts, however a lot of them are usually not very alcohol tolerant and will stop fermenting quite early when alcohol is building up. For a normal gravity beer, this shouldn't be a big issue though.

Always fun to do some wild ferments :)

Can go either direction, but if it already smells good I guess that chances are high that the final result will be nice as well.

I would let it sit longer in the fermenter than beer brewed with brewers yeast, just to make sure that final gravity was really reached when botteling.

And if the results will be good, definitely save some of the slurry to brew other batches with!

Looking forward to hear how it turns out!

OG was 1.050 so not big deal. there was some trub in the wort, so i dont know if i should save the slurry.

Back