Honey Oatmeal IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricerahops220

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum but not new to home brewing. I have brewed many extract kits (20+) over the past several years however, I recently began really taking brewing seriously (i.e. water quality, recipe creation, intense reading). Anyways, I decided to create another recipe and figured I would post it here for all of you to enjoy/critique. Let me know what you think.

0.5 lb Rolled Oats
0.75 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb Carapils

Steep the grains for 40 mins at 152 degrees F

6 lbs LME - Light
1 lb DME - Light
0.7 lb Key Lime Honey

0.5 ounce Centennial @ 60 mins
1.0 ounce Galaxy @ 20 mins
1.0 ounce Galaxy @ 10 mins
2.0 ounce Citra @ Flameout
0.5 ounce Mosaic @ Flameout
1.0 ounce Citra 7 Day Dryhop
0.5 ounce Mosaic 7 Day Dryhop
1.0 ounce Galaxy 7 Day Dryhop

Wyeast 1318 English III

Beersmith lists all of those malts as 0 degrees lintner. If you want to do a mini mash you'll need to add a pound of 2 row to that. I found this thread, it applies to just steeping oats:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=295310.

And this is from Yooper: You'd have to at least cook them if not using flaked oats from the LHBS or Quaker's Quick Oats.

I wouldn't steep oats- unless you like a starchy haze in your beer. But if you add one pound of two row (crushed) to the grains, and hold them at 155 for 60 minutes, you'll mash them.

It's basically the same for the carapils, adds starch haze, and needs to be mashed to get any fermentable sugar out of it

Steeping crystal works well in steeping as far as I know because of the way the sugars are produced.

If you have oats, extract and crystal, I'm not sure why you'd need carapils. It's probably in the extract already, plus you have crystal 40.

Thanks, I will definitely take that into consideration now. As for the Crystal and Carapils, I have them left over and just want to burn them up.

I was of the understanding that Oats need to be mashed inorder to get the best benefits from them.

Back