Honey IPA or what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
I am thoroughly enjoying this batch - I only drink one a night. I used 6 lbs of amber DME,
2+ lbs of honey and maybe some crystal malt - don't remeber what bittering, flavoring hops I believe it was those grapefruity hops then I left it dryhopping with more of those grapefruity hops. When I returned from the UK I bottled it with very little sugar to get that real ale vibe. What an amazing concoction. A wee bit strong with all the honey and not really an IPA cause I pitched all that sugar on an old Kolsch cake, but it sure is good.
Cheers gents.

How did you add your honey? At the beginning of the boil? I was thinking about experimenting with this.

High,
Honey
should definitely not go through a full boil-cycle.
It should be added after turning off the heat and when the wort has cooled down considerably.
Boiling honey will definitely destroy many of its`fragrant aromas.
This myth about boiling honey derives from the middle ages, when honey was
"harvested" green, with a lot of proteins still in the honey.
Honey available nowadays is always won by centrifucal force of mature hives, after they are dewaxed.
So all this BS about having to boil honey is just a plain myth.
And even though there are numerous videos on the net, advocating the boiling of honey, I would advise anybody not to do just that.
It is flavour-/ aromawise absolutely counterproductive.
And that`s the main reason to use honey in the first place, instead of using sugar. To capture its`delicate spirit to enhance the drink.
C YA
swillmaker

Back