Honey IPA/Braggot experiment (input wanted)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horus

Reaction score
Now that I have a few batches of beer and one batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead under my belt, I want to try experimenting with my own recipes in small batches. I'm going for a braggot/IPA cross so I don't mind it coming out a bit hot and winey. Before I get started, I'd just like to get a second opinion to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake.

For 1 gallon(EDITED to show RonPopeil's changes):

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.097
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 9.71%
IBU (tinseth): 77.72
SRM (morey): 9.43

FERMENTABLES:
1 lb - Honey - (late addition) (33.3%)
1.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (50%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (16.7%)

HOPS:
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 37.76
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.8, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.74
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.8, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 13.69
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.53
0.2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.8, Use: Boil for 0 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.2 oz - Dried orange peel, at end of boil

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

I'm thinking of maybe bringing down the IBUs by boiling the hops less, but other than that I feel like I'm ready to go. Thoughts? Suggestions?

your finish is super high for an IPA. i think your software is deceiving you though. that much simple sugar should dry the beer out.

IPA brewing logic says that additions between 60 and 20 minutes are largely useless except in certain instances. shift your late hops to 60/15/10/5/0. that will maximise your hop flavor while minimizing your bitterness additions.

that being said, i think you'd be more successful with a blend rather than a hybrid brew. DFH has done several beers with wine barrels and wine must added so there's a commercial example of the idea. not sure if they suit your taste.

your finish is super high for an IPA. i think your software is deceiving you though. that much simple sugar should dry the beer out.

IPA brewing logic says that additions between 60 and 20 minutes are largely useless except in certain instances. shift your late hops to 60/15/10/5/0. that will maximise your hop flavor while minimizing your bitterness additions.

that being said, i think you'd be more successful with a blend rather than a hybrid brew. DFH has done several beers with wine barrels and wine must added so there's a commercial example of the idea. not sure if they suit your taste.

I will definitely modify the hop timing as you said.

You're probably right about a blend turning out better. That being said, I already have the ingredients so I'm going to go right ahead with the rest as is. It'll be an interesting experiment :)

Thanks a bunch for the advice, It's good to have the help of people with more experience.

Do you have an update on this project? I'm looking into a similar brew as we speak. Possibly a burnt honey, chocolate/caramel malt IPA braggot?

Latest posts

Back