Honey Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles_brewkowski

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a couple of issues here. This past weekend (Oct 28), my grandma suddenly asked me to brew a beer for her Thanksgiving gathering. This gives me slightly under 4 weeks to brew. Therefore, I figured brewing a hefeweizen since they are generally 'quicker' to make; however, for this one, I added honey (1 lbs. of orange blossom and also used honey malt) and some spices to give it a little twist since I want it to have some seasonal flavors.

Anyways, I brewed Oct 29 and figure i do 2 weeks primary and almost 2 weeks bottling. I obviously don't have time for a secondary, but figure that's okay since the beer is supposed to be cloudy anyways. Also, I don't have the funds for a kegging system at the moment, otherwise that would be ideal. What do you all think? Should I not even bother, and tell her it won't be ready? should i do the 2 week/2 week approach? Maybe someone can offer a different strategy?

(I used a traditional hefeweizen strain of yeast from white labs)

Thank you, and cheers! :cross:

i've drank wheat beers after a week in the bottle, in fact i've had a few beers after a week or two in the bottle and they were fine. open a bottle the day of the gathering and you'll know for sure. there is really no way to tell before hand. that pound of honey will thin your beer out a bit.

2 week primary and 3 week bottle and my hefe is done and a it's best. Maybe keep the bottles and bit warmer for a week to speed the yeast up, then get them in the fridge to help the co2 dissolve.

Back