Honey cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider-11

Reaction score
What is the average price for a pound of say clover or wild flower honey in other parts of the country? I live close to Lake Erie and its around $4.00 a lbs:(

i know what you mean, I'm just east of pittsburgh and i can't find any honey that would be cheap enough to make a 5 gallon batch. I'd love to make some mead but i don't wanna spend 100 bucks to do it.

It's cheaper to buy in bulk from a bee keeper. I buy 5 gallon buckets of honey for $100 ($1.67/lb).

That is why I am building my own top bar hives and getting bees. I did the math and if I can get 2 five gallon batches of mead I will have broke even. You can save even more money if you entice a swarm. Food for thought.

BBBF,

Would you mind sharing your contact? I'm looking for someone in the Chicago area and that is a great price. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

BBBF,

Would you mind sharing your contact? I'm looking for someone in the Chicago area and that is a great price. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

It's not local. I pick it up in Wisconsin when I go camping.

I pay roughly 14 dollars for 5 pounds. I just made a batch of mead about three months ago, I used 16 pounds of honey and two quarts of cranberry juice. not too expensive for a good mead. check with local amish/mennonite farmers as they often keep bees and have cheaper less processed honey.

Costco sells honey for $12 a half gallon(6 pounds) I used a lot of it with good results. that is the cheapest I have found for quality honey. It is clover honey from Eastern Washington

Back