Honey Beesplosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsyGirl

Reaction score
Bottled 50 bottles of honey wheat beer last weekend. To five gallons of beer (it had been in the primary 3 weeks and fermentation had stopped) I added 1 1/4 cups honey to prime. I think it might have been too much.

Today I came home to a lake of brown liquid on the kitchen floor and a couple of shattered bottles. The beer is on the ceiling. It hit the wall 15 feet away. Funniest beer disaster to date.

If a couple blew, I am assuming the rest might go too. I moved the rest to the basement so I don't kill the cats if more blow.

How do you know fermentation stopped? Honey is notorious for taking a long time to ferment. Maybe it was still doing it's thing, and then it got a jump start from the new fermentables and the agitation of the bottling process. Either way, it's a huge bummer!
:(

photo.php

Yeah. I know I need to get a hydrometer. I was pretty much guessing that since I hadn't seen any action in the airlock for a week it had to be done. But third batch and second explosion (first explosion was the airlock on my Better Bottle. Now I use a blow off tube). I love fermentation.

Back