Honey baverian hefe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miket1099

Reaction score
I bought a baverian kit from my local brew store and was thinking of making a honey wheat beer but was just not sure when or how much to add to the wort or at what time. This will be my second brew and need some help it's a 5 gallon batch.

If you haven't made this kit before, I wouldn't add anything and just make it to design as a baseline for that recipe. Tinker with the next batch and compare the results. Personally, I think of Bavarian Hefes as an art in simplicity. As such they don't tolerate much monkey business. I know flavored wits are all the rage, but a good Bavarian Hefe is about as good as it going to get.

There is a lot of information on this site about brewing with honey. (Use the search!)

I read thru a lot of it recently as I am brewing a Honey Hefeweizen now. Short version is that honey ferments out very clean, and leaves very little flavor behind-but it does boost your abv and dry out your beer (changes to mouthfeel, and taste). I'm told that a rule of thumb is that 1 lb of honey will raise your alchohol content by 1% in a 5 gallon batch. The more you heat it, the more the aromatics fade as well. There is also the concern of the yeast eating all the simple honey sugars, and losing the ability to eat the complex sugars from the grains if you add it upfront.

Some people add it at flame out to try and sanitize it, others add it to cooled wort, some wait until high-krausen.

So read up, experiment, and let us know how it works out.

You will get lots more honey flavor from honey malt than from honey.

+1 for the honey malt. I just kegged a batch of honey wheat today. It was my first time using honey malt, and it gave a nice, mild honey sweetness. Not too much, but noticable. I used 8oz in my recipe.

Good luck, and happy brewing!

Honey malt. Is that a specialty grain that u can heat in a grain sack for 20 mins or Do u have to keep it at a certain temperature. My kit had about a pound of specialty grains that I keep around 160 degrees for 20 mins.

Also thanks for all the info I think I'n going to try and add some honey malt grain and see how that comes out.

Back