Honey and Homebrew Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhammers91

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a year now and made the switch to all grain about 6 months ago. I have been looking to invest in a refractometer. At the same time, I am going to begin my first year in beekeeping starting this spring. And I would want a refractometer that reads moisture level so I would know when it is ok to bottle my honey. So my question is... Does anyone know of a refractometer that reads the gravity (brix) and the moisture content so I only have to buy one refractometer?

Thanks for the help!

I have been brewing for a year now and made the switch to all grain about 6 months ago. I have been looking to invest in a refractometer. At the same time, I am going to begin my first year in beekeeping starting this spring. And I would want a refractometer that reads moisture level so I would know when it is ok to bottle my honey. So my question is... Does anyone know of a refractometer that reads the gravity (brix) and the moisture content so I only have to buy one refractometer?

Thanks for the help!

I'm fairly certain you won't find what you're looking for.

The ranges are way too off

You won't need a refractometer to determine when to bottle honey. The bees cap it at the right moisture level, and you only harvest capped frames (may have a few uncapped cells on it). Only the big commercial outfits who must process their honey with heaters or RO systems to reduce moisture from their time driven harvest would need to watch it.

So in other words, if I want to get a refractometer for honey I will have to get a separate one for my homebrew?

So in other words, if I want to get a refractometer for honey I will have to get a separate one for my homebrew?

I'm afraid so...

The ranges being so far off is a major factor, but think about it...

A beer refractometer measures brix. That means it measures solids (sugar) in the liquid.

Your honey refractometer would measure water. That is pretty much the complete opposite of what brix is.

You can find great beer reflectometers on ebay for $22-23 shipped.

It's a good thing christmas is near.

Back