Homer Bucket Leaching Chemicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]If you are considering the purchase of a container from some place other than a kitchen or restaurant supply store, and the container is not clearly labeled as "food safe" or being made of food grade plastic, then you should assume that it is not food grade and you should not brine in it—unless you line it with a food grade plastic bag.[/FONT]

See. Fermenting beer and using it to collect wort is OK. It's brining that is a problem. LOL.

I have been using two Homer buckets...one for storing Starsan and one for storing PBW solution. Not that this means much but neither has leached any color into the solutions and the interior of both buckets looks perfect. Both solutions stay clear for months...I've never seen either solution discolor or even get cloudy.

My concern is that whenever I see something like Homer buckets for <$2 then I just assume it's from China and based on recent history with Chinese products there's no telling what's in it.

But I guess I figured that since I rinse the PBW and only leave a tiny amount of Starsan on anything that it wasn't an issue. The spray bottle I use for spraying Starsan is dark blue HDPE-2.

You are guessing plain and simple. You have no idea what dye was used in these buckets

And neither do you.

I used home depot buckets to raise extremely sensitive marine fish and invert larvae for years. Much lower concentrations of chemicals will kill them then will hurt us.

The only things that concern me with anything that will contain food is if it was made in China.

I just don't trust that when they stamp HDPE 2 on the bucket that it is actually conforms to any kind of standard. From the FDA's standpoint, it probably isn't checking buckets bound for lowes, home depot, etc for suitability because they only expect a very very small amount of people to use the buckets for a food container. So, China can probably get away with putting all sorts of chemicals and whatnot into those plastic pails.

BUT - I am more concerned about the manufacturing oils and other by-products that exist on the surface. It is a good idea to wash the bucket inside and out before using it.

I do not think I would use them for hot wort xfer or fermenting in but I do use them to store grains. I have not seen any leeching or smelled anything funky. I wash and oxyclean them before they touch grain

It is my opinion that we have gotten too worried about food grade this, or food grade that.

I am willing to be some of us smoke. I am willing to bet that some of us eat grilled food (even though there are risks associated with that. Some of us scuba dive, jump out of planes, ride motorcycles, etc... Some of us drank out of the garden hose, chewed on the Chinese crayons, and ate paint chips in Grandma's house. We are still here.

Why do we obsess about food grade and minimum contact time when we do all of this crazy stuff? And to top it off, we drink beer and some of us drink quantities far above what we should at certain times.

And yet, we have used 5 pages to argue about a bucket.

My point. We choose to engage in risky and unhealthy behaviors every day. How can we accept those as OK, and be overly concerned with a bucket?

My point. We choose to engage in risky and unhealthy behaviors every day. How can we accept those as OK, and be overly concerned with a bucket?
Yea but all that other stuff is just stuff that could potentially kill you...BFD. We're talking about potentially compromising our beer...totally different.:D

I regret starting this thread, because it makes me feel like a wuss.

McKBrew is right. As kids we used to do a lot of dangerous crap from drinking out the hose to playing with semi-dangerous substances. Some of you Boomers even played with mercury.

Granted it's best not to chance things in life, but I am 100% sure that drinking this beer won't cause me to be crazy or get teh cancer.

I'll probably go crazy anyways though thanks to the dementia genes.

And neither do you.

I will not take the risk with my health not knowing what dye was used.

Hmmmmm.....I could have sworn I admitted that in a previous post.

I used home depot buckets to raise extremely sensitive marine fish and invert larvae for years. Much lower concentrations of chemicals will kill them then will hurt us.

At least we know it's safe for fish and larvae. For humans, the jury is still out. BTW, I have no problem with you using the Homer buckets. I have a number of FDA food safe buckets purchased when my LHBS had them on sale for $6.00 a pop. It's your health, not mine.

I saw this thread when researching if the homer bucket was food grade for a different project (I dont home brew) but wanted to come share with you. I contacted the manufacturer of the bucket (Argee Corp) and they said the buckets ARE NOT food grade....so use it at your own risk. But if you find a white bucket that says Argee on the bottom they are food grade. They only make one type white bucket, in various sizes.

I saw this thread when researching if the homer bucket was food grade for a different project (I dont home brew) but wanted to come share with you. I contacted the manufacturer of the bucket (Argee Corp) and they said the buckets ARE NOT food grade....so use it at your own risk. But if you find a white bucket that says Argee on the bottom they are food grade. They only make one type white bucket, in various sizes.

Of course they'll tell you that. They haven't had them FDA approved, and as such its a huge liability.

At least we know it's safe for fish and larvae. For humans, the jury is still out. BTW, I have no problem with you using the Homer buckets. I have a number of FDA food safe buckets purchased when my LHBS had them on sale for $6.00 a pop. It's your health, not mine.

The point is, fish larvae are way more sensitive to pretty much everything than human beings.

Back