Homemade Instant Ramen Noodles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamarlane

Reaction score
As a big fan of spicy Asian soups, noodle bowls, etc I've experimented for years with quick and easy udon or ramen noodle soups that I could throw together and bring to work for lunch.

Couple months back I stumbled upon this Food Lab article that encouraged me to get this down to a science:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html

The premise is simple - the linked article actually over-complicates things if you ask me. All you need is a soup base, instant noodles, and whatever vegetables/protein/fixings you want.

My ingredients vary batch by batch but I usually use some combination of chicken boullion, miso, chili paste, dried mushrooms, and either kimchi, frozen peas, or dried seaweed. For protein I usually add tofu or a boiled egg. If I have fresh parsley or cilantro or a bit of lime those work good too. Fish sauce or sriracha also work well depending on the style you're going for.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425781398.295734.jpg

I use these instant ramen noodles from the local Chinese market - they are not fried so they are much mor healthy than the usual bagged instant ramen.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425781496.392087.jpg

Today's batch included chicken bouillon, tamari, chili garlic sauce, kimchi, noodles and a bit of duck meat.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425781574.884258.jpg

Cram it all into a wide-mouth pint mason jar, sauce-veggies-noodles, then add hot water from the coffee pot at work to heat. In five minutes your good to go.

Thought I would share - personally I can't get enough!

Nothing beats doctored ramen for a quick dinner. Step one, throw out seasoning packet. Step two, raid fridge...as long as you start with chili paste or sriracha you just can't go wrong.

Momofuku Ando would've been happy to see this! I'm getting hungry now too, time to break out the ramen.

:mug:

I survived off on Ramen for a pretty extended time in my youth. I'll probably pay for that with some strange cancer when I'm older.

My personal preference was to spike it with something especially hot. Your typical habanero hot sauces fell short for me. I wanted MORE! I played around with Blair's hot sauces and even extracts. Finally, after the need for such things, I discovered pepper species that are hotter than all of those sauces.

After 3 years of cross-breeding and other experimental crap that I should have devoted to hops instead. I came up with a new pepper. It isn't as hot as the worlds hottest pepper, but anyone taking a bite wouldn't know the difference. lol. It's a wonderful fruity tasting pepper (if you can get past the hell-fire burn spawned straight from satan). It's a nice garden pepper (It grows well, and any neighbors growing peppers within 2 miles of you will hate you) that will produce prolifically.

In the near future I will be selling my hot sauce. Since it only takes a few peppers to make a bottle crazy hot, I will be asking in advance how hot you want your sauce to be.

There isn't anything better than fresh-from-the-garden-fresh.

I survived off on Ramen for a pretty extended time in my youth. I'll probably pay for that with some strange cancer when I'm older.

My personal preference was to spike it with something especially hot. Your typical habanero hot sauces fell short for me. I wanted MORE! I played around with Blair's hot sauces and even extracts. Finally, after the need for such things, I discovered pepper species that are hotter than all of those sauces.

After 3 years of cross-breeding and other experimental crap that I should have devoted to hops instead. I came up with a new pepper. It isn't as hot as the worlds hottest pepper, but anyone taking a bite wouldn't know the difference. lol. It's a wonderful fruity tasting pepper (if you can get past the hell-fire burn spawned straight from satan). It's a nice garden pepper (It grows well, and any neighbors growing peppers within 2 miles of you will hate you) that will produce prolifically.

In the near future I will be selling my hot sauce. Since it only takes a few peppers to make a bottle crazy hot, I will be asking in advance how hot you want your sauce to be.

There isn't anything better than fresh-from-the-garden-fresh.

I love torching my mouth off as well! Have you ever brewed with your peppers? How about a "Chocolate Lava Imperial Stout."
40 SRM / 60 IBU / 1,000,000 Scoville :eek:

I love torching my mouth off as well! Have you ever brewed with your peppers? How about a "Chocolate Lava Imperial Stout."
40 SRM / 60 IBU / 1,000,000 Scoville :eek:

No. I'm not into peppers and beer. The two doesn't mix well in my mind. I'm am extreme chili head but I don't mix that with beer. My chili head addiction is separate from my beer brewing addiction. I don't confuse beer loving for red-hot-pepper loving. Those are completely different things.

As a big fan of spicy Asian soups, noodle bowls, etc I've experimented for years with quick and easy udon or ramen noodle soups that I could throw together and bring to work for lunch.

Couple months back I stumbled upon this Food Lab article that encouraged me to get this down to a science:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html

The premise is simple - the linked article actually over-complicates things if you ask me. All you need is a soup base, instant noodles, and whatever vegetables/protein/fixings you want.

My ingredients vary batch by batch but I usually use some combination of chicken boullion, miso, chili paste, dried mushrooms, and either kimchi, frozen peas, or dried seaweed. For protein I usually add tofu or a boiled egg. If I have fresh parsley or cilantro or a bit of lime those work good too. Fish sauce or sriracha also work well depending on the style you're going for.

View attachment 261850

I use these instant ramen noodles from the local Chinese market - they are not fried so they are much mor healthy than the usual bagged instant ramen.

View attachment 261851

Today's batch included chicken bouillon, tamari, chili garlic sauce, kimchi, noodles and a bit of duck meat.

View attachment 261852

Cram it all into a wide-mouth pint mason jar, sauce-veggies-noodles, then add hot water from the coffee pot at work to heat. In five minutes your good to go.

Thought I would share - personally I can't get enough!
Looks & sounds tasty. There's a whole thread on ramen here somewhere, several pages of people's favorite ways to doctor up ramen.
Regards, GF.

I saw on the inter-webs today, somewhere, that Ramon noodles mixed with those packets of hot sauce from Taco Bell tastes just like poverty. lol.

It's sad that I've been there and know what that is about. Even more sad than that, in the moment it tastes like 5 star dining.

Back