Homemade Hot dogs, caseless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made hot dogs before. Stuffed in sheep casings. But this time, I took a shot at making caseless hot dogs. The result was spectacular (and I don't say that about all my efforts :) ) I made 6# of them. Just pulled some off the grill and slathered with some homemade brown mustard and chopped onions. Yummers.

The three main differences between normal sausage making and caseless hot dogs is a) meat must be emulsified, b) add lots of water during the emulsification process, c) remove the casing after the dogs have been smoked.

Emulsification mechanically dices the protein and fat parts of the sausage until they are indistinguishable. Homogenization. It's pretty easy to do this with a food processor, but you have to do it in batches (each batch was about the size of a baseball I'd say). I ground the meat and fat through the course plate on my grinder, then twice through the fine plate, then into the food processor (each batch got "puree'd" about a minute or two). During the emulsification, I added ice-cold water.

The result of the emulsification is a paste about the consistency of mayonnaise. I stuffed that into some sweet cellulose casings I got online. The casings will twist to form individual links, but they untwist on their own too easily, so I just used butcher's twine to tie each one off. Looks like a lot of work, but really isn't.

The links get cooked slowly (3 hrs) until the internal temp reaches about 160F. I did that on my smoker. When done, I tossed them on the patio deck and hosed them off till cool. That took about 5 minutes. Casing gets tossed later, so no worries about the edible parts getting dirty.

Then the casings get peeled off. It's super simple to pull these cellulose casings off. I packed them into vacuum bags and they are in the freezer now.

They are much better than I expected. You can see that some of them got a little hotter than others, which explains the difference in color. Also, there are what looks like liverspots on them. That is some fat on the outside. When cooked on the grill, those spots dissapear. My son and I ate several off the grill tonight and they are... well, hot dogs :)

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
Wow those are beauties! Where did you buy the casing? I make fleischkäse in a similar manner; cube all the pork, pork belly, bacon, chill to the point of freezing and blend it with prague powder and spices in a big powerful cuisinart 14c processor, adding ice water slowly till it emulsifies. Fills two bread loaf pans and bake until center reaches 160f. Once cooled, slice into slabs and grill or fry in a pan, then enjoy on a ciabatta roll slathered with Hengstenberg sharfer delikatess senf. Mmmmmm, the taste of home!

PS, process the mixture longer to eliminate the liver spots, you can't really overdo that step so long as the meat stays ice cold. I process mine for 10-15 minutes to produce a finer texture. There is a variation that looks like yours called "fleischkäse grob" that has the same spots.

Last edited:
i would love to see that recipe posted as well as the homemade mustard :D

Standard mustard: fill jar 3/4 full with half yellow mustard seed, half brown seed, add vinegar (I like apple cider) till jar is nearly full. Let sit for at least 3 days, then blend to get the consistency you want. That's it. Add some horseradish root to make it spicey (I like this :) ) It's shelf stable - I have many jars of this in the cabinet.

If you want some killer YELLOW mustard, use turmeric and only yellow seeds. Follow this recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/homemade-mustard-recipe-joe-beef/

Casings came from Waltons. Check out this video for recipe. For the meat, I bought 6# of some sort of cheap beef roast - it was cheaper than hamburger :)

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/180/how-to-make-homemade-hot-dogs-recipe

Next time, I'll get the next larger size casing. This time I ordered 26mm, which is typical hot dog size, but I would prefer larger next time.
Thanks for creating this thread, I'm always trying different brands looking for the perfect Frankfurter but I still haven't found what im looking for. Best kosher, national hebrew, vienna beef, nathan's, daisy, none quite live up to my expectations. I'm definitely going to try this, maybe 50/50 beef/pork is the secret? Or maybe veal+pork? Did you smoke them with beech wood?

Standard mustard: fill jar 3/4 full with half yellow mustard seed, half brown seed, add vinegar (I like apple cider) till jar is nearly full. Let sit for at least 3 days, then blend to get the consistency you want. That's it. Add some horseradish root to make it spicey (I like this :) ) It's shelf stable - I have many jars of this in the cabinet.

If you want some killer YELLOW mustard, use turmeric and only yellow seeds. Follow this recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/homemade-mustard-recipe-joe-beef/
Dammit man, I never even thought about making my own dogs and mustard, this has turned me on to a new hobby!!

Thanks for creating this thread, I'm always trying different brands looking for the perfect Frankfurter but I still haven't found what im looking for. Best kosher, national hebrew, vienna beef, nathan's, daisy, none quite live up to my expectations. I'm definitely going to try this, maybe 50/50 beef/pork is the secret? Or maybe veal+pork? Did you smoke them with beech wood?

I didn't smoke them actually. That is, I just used charcoal in my smoker to get them up to temp and pre-cook them. I doubt that cellulose casing will admit smoke. You could probably use collagen and get the smoke through, then peel it off. Maybe gut casings also.

I didn't smoke them actually. That is, I just used charcoal in my smoker to get them up to temp and pre-cook them. I doubt that cellulose casing will admit smoke. You could probably use collagen and get the smoke through, then peel it off. Maybe gut casings also.
I might just smoke the pork belly as a slab then incorporate into the mix to infuse the beech smoke flavor. Thats the traditional wood smoke to choose though many Americans would recognize the flavor as distinctly oscar-mayer-esque.

Edit: Crap, why don't I just substitute oscar meyer smoked bacon for some of the pork belly? Then I'll sous-vide the links at 160 for an hour and call it a day! Homemade, smoked dogs in the dead of winter, without even firing up the smoker!

I might just smoke the pork belly as a slab then incorporate into the mix to infuse the beech smoke flavor. Thats the traditional wood smoke to choose though many Americans would recognize the flavor as distinctly oscar-mayer-esque.

I've got smoked bellies in my freezer. So much bacon. Try this recipe, it's great. Note: double the bacon, puree potatoes first then add bacon chopped bacon.
Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup

Looks like Sirloin hotdogs, good call. Do you use any other cuts?

Just that beef roast and a bunch of pork backfat I had. 6# beef roast, 1# pork backfat (free from butcher).

Also, I added a LOT more water than the recipe recommends. It'll take it. It must have been a pint at least. I added it in while in the food processor. If your food processor bogs down, add more water until it spins freely.

If any of you guys have a Champion or Omega macerating juicer, you can use that to emulsify. Pretty slick solution really. Google it.

I've got smoked bellies in my freezer. So much bacon. Try this recipe, it's great. Note: double the bacon, puree potatoes first then add bacon chopped bacon.
Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup
I'm going to make this for my wife while she's out at her massage appointment! I'll tell her it's from one of those healthy cooking blogs! :)

PS, process the mixture longer to eliminate the liver spots, you can't really overdo that step so long as the meat stays ice cold. I process mine for 10-15 minutes to produce a finer texture. There is a variation that looks like yours called "fleischkäse grob" that has the same spots.

Right. I got a little impatient. I was watching college football while mixing and was pretty anxious to get this step done, get them on the smoker, and get back to the Gators.

I´m happy you made this thread, several months thinking in making my own sausages but didn´t know where to start now i have reaaallly good info and tips to begin with (and also a mustrad recipe) thank you very much!! :rock:

I´m happy you made this thread, several months thinking in making my own sausages but didn´t know where to start now i have reaaallly good info and tips to begin with (and also a mustrad recipe) thank you very much!! :rock:

If you haven't made sausages yet, make some italian. Don't mess with the stuff above, its a lot of bother for a simple hot dog.

If the cellulose casing doesn't really admit smoke, would it be acceptable to simply sous vide the dogs to get them fully cooked before removing the casing? Seems like it would be a good way to get them to a perfect 160 degree IT, and waste no charcoal. And just vacuum-sealing them into bags and throwing them into the pot, you don't need to worry about how to hang them in your smoker.

I got a sausage-making kit for Christmas last year, and still haven't used it. It was with the kitchenaid grinder/stuffer attachment, which I have at least used... Once... To grind lamb for burgers. I need to start doing this more.

If the cellulose casing doesn't really admit smoke, would it be acceptable to simply sous vide the dogs to get them fully cooked before removing the casing? Seems like it would be a good way to get them to a perfect 160 degree IT, and waste no charcoal. And just vacuum-sealing them into bags and throwing them into the pot, you don't need to worry about how to hang them in your smoker.

I got a sausage-making kit for Christmas last year, and still haven't used it. It was with the kitchenaid grinder/stuffer attachment, which I have at least used... Once... To grind lamb for burgers. I need to start doing this more.

That sounds like a GREAT idea. I've got an immersion cooker, I'll try that next make. I don't see why they would need to go into vac bags since that cellulose casing would function as the bag. I did consider putting them in the oven, but the suggested temps are pretty low at first, and I do like having an excuse to fire up the smoker (smoking homemade gouda this weekend in there :) )

Note that you're supposed to cool them rapidly at the end of cooking. I laid them outside and hosed them down. That worked great. If you're cooking them indoors, I guess the sink sprayer would would as well.

Note that you're supposed to cool them rapidly at the end of cooking. I laid them outside and hosed them down. That worked great. If you're cooking them indoors, I guess the sink sprayer would would as well.
I'd have a bucket of ice water sitting ready so I could lift them straight out of the sous vide bath (wearing rubber gloves!) and drop them directly into the cooling bath.

Since the cooking temp is only 160f you can use a 5 gallon bucket or a plastic tub to have enough capacity for 6-10lbs of sausage. I've used a 7 gallon PP tub several times at temps around 160f for large volume, multi-day cooking sessions without problems and PP is completely food safe.

Last edited:
I'd have a bucket of ice water sitting ready so I could lift them straight out of the sous vide bath (wearing rubber gloves!) and drop them directly into the cooling bath.

Since the cooking temp is only 160f you can use a 5 gallon bucket or a plastic tub to have enough capacity for 6-10lbs sausages. I've used a 7 gallon PP tub several times at temps around 160f for large volume, multi-day cooking sessions without problems and PP is completely food safe.

I made something like that for my immersion cooker. It's a big plastic bin that I can set my cheese pot into. I'm pretty excited about trying this, so I guess I'll give it a go soon.

That sounds like a GREAT idea. I've got an immersion cooker, I'll try that next make. I don't see why they would need to go into vac bags since that cellulose casing would function as the bag. I did consider putting them in the oven, but the suggested temps are pretty low at first, and I do like having an excuse to fire up the smoker (smoking homemade gouda this weekend in there :) )

Only reason I'd consider vacuum bags is the concern if one of the casings was punctured or ripped in some way. I'd hate to have a bunch of hot dog water in my sous vide circulator.

Made another batch of these. This time I went with 5# pork (boston butt), 3# lean beef, no additional fat (he pork is fairly fatty).

I'm doing the water bath cook with my immersion cooker, the excellent suggestion by bwarbiany. More later...

upload_2019-2-3_12-26-31.png

upload_2019-2-3_12-26-41.png

They look different than last time, probably because of the amt of pork in there. They remind me of the weisswurst (white sausage) I've made before. The skin didn't really form the same way on the others.... it's a little crinkly and definitely white. I probably put too much pork in them this time. It's also possible that the hot water cook method was the difference, but I don't think so.

I fried one up and it tastes about the same as before I think, so it's just an aesthetic thing. They taste really good.
upload_2019-2-3_16-32-49.png

I forgot about this thread and wasted so much shelter-in-place time doing other things. Dammit I could have learned sausage making by now!

Good god man. You've got to better organize your world. Calamity is the perfect time to hone skills. Why, I have perfected origami of flying prehistorical creatures, learned to suture squirrels, and can now juggle bowling pins - thank you coronavirus!

damn, i just scanned this thread...i could gross everyone out and post pics of my vital wheat gluten/minced bean sausages...their actually pretty good though, lol

edit: i didn't even realize this got posted, i broke the website with it...... ;)

Last edited:
I'm just starting to make hot dogs with cellulose casings; I don't have any way to smoke them-is there any way I can steam/poach or whatever without smoking. I have been looking online all day and every single one says smoker until temp is~160 F.

I'm just starting to make hot dogs with cellulose casings; I don't have any way to smoke them-is there any way I can steam/poach or whatever without smoking. I have been looking online all day and every single one says smoker until temp is~160 F.

Just put them in the oven. No smoke gets through those cellulose casings.

Back