Homemade bottle tree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinker

Reaction score
I've got a 4"x4"x90" square piece of white oak in my basement and I was wondering if drilling holes and inserting sections of dowel rods in them will work as a bottle tree?

I'm thinking that the sanitation won't be good enough because of the porosity of the wood.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

drinker:)

That shouldn't be an issue....Oak is not going to be really badly affected by a small amount of water. Any great amount of water will be quickly drained out, away from the dowels, right?

Why use dowels? Just drill holes big enough for the bottle necks to go through and you could get some shelf mounts to hold the board. If you have wall space you could have multiple layers of bottle holders....

Wood is frowned upon as a food contact surface because it can harbor bacteria. I personally would not use it, but, if you do, then find a product to seal it that is easily cleanable, I would not drill holes and just stick the bottle necks in, this would be a great place for harboring bad bugs.
I’m kind of a noob at brewing for now, but I have a 18 year back ground in food inspection and quality management in the food industry.

But the liquid pouring out of the bottles is disinfectant, right? Wouldn't that soak into the wood and kill the nasties?

Jim Karr said:
That shouldn't be an issue....Oak is not going to be really badly affected by a small amount of water. Any great amount of water will be quickly drained out, away from the dowels, right?

Great! That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks:mug:

Monster Mash wrote:
Why use dowels? Just drill holes big enough for the bottle necks to go through and you could get some shelf mounts to hold the board. If you have wall space you could have multiple layers of bottle holders....
That'd make a bigger job than using the dowel rods. This beam I have is 4"x4".

I want to fashion it similar to the store-bought b-trees having the bottles on all four of the sides.

If anyone has a store-bought b-tree would you please tell me the spacing(vertical/horizontal) between the pegs?

Thanks for reading this:rockin:

drinker

Cheesefood said:
But the liquid pouring out of the bottles is disinfectant, right? Wouldn't that soak into the wood and kill the nasties?
That disinfectant only last so long depending on what it is. This is like saying, "if I sanitize my carboy today, I wont need to next week when I actually plan to use it.

You could always paint them with some high gloss.

However, what you're describing is almost is exactly what I use if I'm not using the dishwasher. It's an old test tube drying rack. It's got formica on the base but the dowels are just plain wood. I've never had a problem. I do spray it down with bleach water before I use it though.

So, I have this 75 foot, 100 year old tree in my back yard and I thought I would cut it down and widdle myself a brew paddle. I think I will use a herring...

Sorry, I couldn't resist after the last post.

I too am one of those people who would rather create then buy.

homebrewer_99 said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a drying tree?;)

Yes. It would. I already have the oak post and am wanting to use the money on hand for ingredients.:D

I was thinking on gluing strips of white bathroom sheeting (have on hand) on all sides, then drilling the holes for the dowel rods.

If this small project starts aggravating me then I'll abandon it and hustle for my head-shed:mug:

Thanks to all for the responses.

drinker

I have a mate who has a wooden bottle tree that he made a million years ago, and has never had a problem with it. He is a renal dialysis nurse and is "anal" about sanitation so I would reckon that as long as it is clean you would be ok.
After all you aren't brewing in a totally sterile environment are you? unless you are locked in a little glass box with filters for every breath of air you take there is always going to be some bacteria getting into every brew and every bottle.
So don't panic, have a homebrew!
Cheers Alx

Back