Homebrewing to brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuenro02

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone on here started out home brewing then moved on to open there own brewery? If so, could you elaborate on your story. I would be very interested to see how you started and steps along the way to get to that level. Equipment upgrades and lessons you've learned. Thanks.

I'm just curious if anyone on here started out home brewing then moved on to open there own brewery? If so, could you elaborate on your story. I would be very interested to see how you started and steps along the way to get to that level. Equipment upgrades and lessons you've learned. Thanks.

+1 Lets hear those stories!

Lots of folks have done this- I have read about 4 or 5 of them. Its hard to search for them, but I will try.

I kind of went the other way... I worked in a brewery before I started homebrewing... although, I did have Papazian's book and had read it cover to cover two or three times. The knowledge I had from the book helped get me a job at Bell's... ok, it was 1989, simpler times! :D

Here is a decent blog of a small brewery in Huntsville, AL. If you go back to the beginning of the blog, it chronicles the process of going from homebrewer to nanobrewery (that's generous, I would say picobrewery) to a larger "micro"brewery. It's currently in the middle of a large expansion and gets updated every week or so.

http://www.bluepantsbrew.com/blog/

Guys this is awesome. Thanks for your help! I'm early in my brewing career but a guy can dream right?!?!

Cool thread, very interesting stories. Does anybody know how most craft breweries start out, is it usually a home brewer with a vision? I'm thinking more dogfish head boulevard etc...

Cool thread, very interesting stories. Does anybody know how most craft breweries start out, is it usually a home brewer with a vision? I'm thinking more dogfish head boulevard etc...

I think most do start out that way....a homebrewer with a vision. Of course they might have to bring on non homebrewing investors for the capital but you have to have the vision.

I live a block from a brewery that opened up around Halloween of 2011. I've gotten to talk to the owners and they were homebrewers who had a dream. They brought someone in with experience for their brewing, but they release a new beer every week (50g batch I think) so they definitely keep the homebrewer spirit. From what they've said they take ideas from every employee to see what they will brew next.

NoDa Brewery is the name of the place, and it might be worth looking up if you want the whole story... or a great beer.

I worked at Bell's when brewing was done 1bbl at a time... which was actually the 2nd brewing system... Larry Bell started the place with 15 gallon kettles and was fermenting in 40 gallon food grade trash cans.

Rogue was started by Jack Joyce, a lawyer and marketing guy for Nike. Was initially a small pub in Newport, but really started to take off when Jack had the foresight to hire John Maier and give him pretty much free rein.

I have had the extreme pleasure of brewing with both of those guys and the learning was invaluable.

Conversely, I worked at another company (which I will not name because of their nature) that was started by a homebrewer with vision, but he allowed the corporation to be run by people who had no concept of the brewery business. Example; The company was based in another state, but had several pubs. They wanted all the pubs to serve the same beer, with maybe one tap to the local brewer. I was directed to brew a particular beer which I knew was not going to work, but I did it, 20bbls as prescribed. The beer did it's standard 2 month rotation... five... FIVE! barrels sold, and that is with it being on $1 pint for half the time! This beer was totally wrong for the market. (surprisingly, this was not a big beer, it was a pils). The D.O. of the company came for a visit and asked if I had it on as a regular offering yet. No. Why not? It doesn't sell, I can't even give it away. I was let go because of this... Logic? Beers that sell vs corporate "sameness"... Well, the place was gone in 4 months and the corporation retreated to their home turf, so?...

The real key to success is less that it was STARTED by a brewer with vision, but that the people with the $$ give the folks in the know the freedom to do what needs doing.

I;m involved with that right now.

Small place - we have a 30 gallon system - EXACTLY like homebrewing but bigger. 49 seats in the brew pub with a huge grill (which cost $17,000 to install the 700 pound range hood)).

We opened and went through 8 barrels in 10 days and BAM no beer. That was expected as we could not brew until final inspections. Now we have about 20 barrels aging and are brewing once or twice a day depending on crowds (which are amazing). Packed every weekend. Looking to expand. Tons of tiny problems from CO2 (need to insulate the lines) to getting natural gas for brewing ( not fixed yet).

But all in all a success after 1 month!

Hydro Street Brewery - Columbus WI!

(raising my hand)

Two HBC friends and I signed a lease a couple of days ago on a nano. It isn't a bar/pub/restaurant... just a brewery and we'll be doing kegs.

It is a tiny space around the corner from my house in SE Mass and we'll be on a 55 gallon single tier HERMS system for the time being. We have four 55 gallon fermenters so right out of the gates, we're capped in term of capacity (which is fine). None of us are thinking about quiting our day jobs and this is just a hobby brewery for us.

Don't get me wrong, we're going to take it very seriously but, like I said, none of us are quitting our day jobs any time soon.

We have, basically, all of our equip except for the kegs (we have our eyes open for them) and have working through the zoning etc. We just signed the lease and take over the space on Feb 1.

We have an HVAC guy lined up to install our huge commercial vent hood (already own it) and a plumber to run a couple water lines and a nat. gas line for us.

The next step is to push through the TTB licensing headache. We have a ton of the paperwork filled out but it hasn't been sent in yet.

Latest posts

Back