Homebrewing roommates from Santa Cruz California!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugtrail

Reaction score
Hello everyone! A couple of college guys going to school and brewing beer. We have been brewing for about two years and have been using HBT as a resource since day one. We have been trying to brew at least once a month and have had some success with local competitions. Looking forward to sharing recipes and techniques hoping to push our knowledge, overall skill and appreciation for beer.

Look forward to learning with you all!

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

You guys brewing off campus or are you able to pull it off in a dorm? I'll be curious to hear how brewing and college life work together.

We actually met because we were dorm mates and both brewed at home before we moved in! We brewed our first beer together in our dorm in the middle of the night. It was pretty sketchy at first but we got the hang of it pretty quick. We have since moved into an apartment together and have been brewing ever since. For competitions, we named ourselves Slugtrail Aleworks because UC Santa Cruz's mascot is the banana slug.

Balancing brewing and courseloads has been pretty effortless. My background is in physics so I always treated brewing like lab work.

Attachments

• slutrail aleworks.jpg
    slutrail aleworks.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
Welcome! Reminds me of a story about how one of my favorite breweries got started near Pittsburgh in 2014. The Brew Gentlemen (so if you're ever near Pittsburgh, check them out). They met while attending Carnegie Mellon University but they almost got kicked out of school for brewing on campus.

Lots of good info here, so welcome once again.

Back