homebrewing pasteurization????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fipilix

Reaction score
so ive been thinking about pasteurization for some of my beer. i have some friends back east that would like to try some of the beer i start brewing. would it be safe to send an unpasteurized bottle in the mail? or could i use some like a UV germ sanitizer to kill the yeast if it even would. just hold it up to the bottle or something. or is there a very easy way of home pasteurization for bottled beer?

If there's yeast in the bottle leave it living as the brew will age better. I see no reason to kill it off especially with uv. uv and hops are not friends.

Homebrewers send bottle conditioned beer around the country all the time. Don't mess with it.

However, do a search here for threads about how to safely, discretely and legally ship your beer. It's actually against the law to ship beer via the US Postal Service. The other carriers say it's against their policy, but at least you won't get fined or imprisoned for mail fraud if you get caught.

thanks for the advice. i didnt plan on using a uv light. was just wondering if anyone knew about it. that just popped in my head cause it kills germs. i was only thinking about pasteurizing cause sending a beer bomb in the mail would suck a bit i think. lol

thanks for the advice. i didnt plan on using a uv light. was just wondering if anyone knew about it. that just popped in my head cause it kills germs. i was only thinking about pasteurizing cause sending a beer bomb in the mail would suck a bit i think. lol

As long as you don't overcarb it, everything will be fine. As others have said, don't send it USPS. I use UPS, and I always tell them what is in it. They have never said anything.

I use bubble wrap around the bottles,then tie them up inside a plastic shopping bag. Then 2 or 3 layers of bubble wrap around that. Then another plastic shopping bag tied over all that. If I have a box big enough,I'll line the box with bubble wrap,put the wrapped up bottles in that,foam peanuts if there's still some head space. Fold flaps over & seal the box.
My rule of thumb is;
1) if you can shake the box & not hear liquid sloshing,declare it as "glassware",with "extremely fragile" on every side of the box.
2) If you can here them sloshing,declare them as "yeast samples". Very fragile on every side of the box.
This is how I do it at the local UPS store,I'm in there computer,no muss,no fuss. They know I package my stuff real well,& they love that aspect of it. As long as they're well packaged & don't cause them any grief,then no harm no foul...:ban:

Back