Homebrewing on Food TV today (9/20/05)!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
An episode of Good Eats will feature homebrewing at 7pm EST/ 6pm CST today (9/20/05). I've seen it before and, while rudimentary, it is still neat to see our hobby featured in a half-hour show!

Here's a link!

sweet! i just made the comment the other day to my wife that i would like to have Alton Brown come over and brew a batch with me.

if you've never seen Good Eats, you should really check it out. good food science... not your average 'cooking' show. funny, too.

tivo is set to record it. thanks rhoobarb!

-walker

Alton Brown is the bomb! Thanks for mentioning it Rhoo...I've read transcripts of that show over and over, but never managed to catch it...until now. :)

Nice.

I just remoted into my home pc and set my PVR to record it. If someone has the space to host the file, I can upload it for all to watch.

Thanks, I'll look into one of those sites when I get home.

I can't remember which codec I set for it to encode with, so I may need to re-encode it to cut the file size down to something reasonable.

Not to be a party pooper but there are plenty of holes in Alton's theories from that show. As you guys watch it you'll notice them too. FoodTV plays it every once in a while and I taped it on my TIVO a few months back and put it on a DVD. Good to have cause its cool, but I'm sure you guys brew better than he does.

ORRELSE said:
Not to be a party pooper but there are plenty of holes in Alton's theories from that show. As you guys watch it you'll notice them too. FoodTV plays it every once in a while and I taped it on my TIVO a few months back and put it on a DVD. Good to have cause its cool, but I'm sure you guys brew better than he does.
Alton Brown has always been one of my heroes, but I have to say he's a much better chef than he is a brewer. :( Too bad...his cooking shows are great.

I love Good Eats. Too bad I don't get cable :(

I did find a good transcript of the show though, and Orrelse is right. It's not a bad crash course in homebrewing, but I would recommend against some of the things he mentions.

Well, I failed...

I'm not sure what setting I had my PVR on, but the end result was a 1.8GB file with wonderful video - and no sound. :(

Well,
I watched this episode for the first time. While he go a lot of termonology wrong, he did hit the basics pretty good. I likes the way he stressed sanitation. I think it might draw a few folks into the homebrewing fold, so all in all, it was a good show.

PS- Let me know if someone gets this to a file I can download>

AB rocks! And if you say it's wrong, then you're wrong. From now on, ABs way of homebrewing is the only way I'm gonna do it!! And my last pint of barleywine, some random ale and a glass of apricot ale will back me up!!

Kephren said:
AB rocks! And if you say it's wrong, then you're wrong. From now on, ABs way of homebrewing is the only way I'm gonna do it!! And my last pint of barleywine, some random ale and a glass of apricot ale will back me up!!

LOL....then don't come complaining to us after you boil your grains and call it a "mash", and also don't call it "dry hopping" unless you actually dry hop in the fermenter rather than the boil pot!

Can't wait to taste your beer! :p

ORRELSE said:

Of corse theres going to be holes in his presentation. He has a television show to teach beginners. If he got everything perfect in the art of home brewing the average joe would be lost in 10 minutes and turn it off. ;)

I personally think he got alot wrong, or at least did not go far enough. He steeped his grains but never removed them from the wort when he added his LME. He poured in 7lbs of LME and cranked it up to high with out stirring(that stuff would have burned into a lump on the bottem of the brewpot). He missed dry hopping and called straining the grain and hops out sparging!! My wife even picked out what he was wrong with. He was dead on with his stressing sanitation and that you needed to keep light away from it but otherwise I think he gave more misinformation than correct. Don't get me wrong I love his show(watch it every night) He did a good job explaining the brewing process but not a great one.

I love this show for exactly what it is.... a way to get others exposed to the brewing process. Yes, there are lots of holes, incorrect terminology, and other flaws, but hopefully there were some folks watching who thought "wow...I can make beer at home". Those folks will get hooked and perhaps even end up posting here in the future....and then we can correct all of AB's mistakes and improve that persons beer. The show can only be a good thing.

I have been watching good eats for the last year, and I have probably seen every episode. The only reason I came to this board is because AB got me interested. I made his homemade beef jerky recipe, and figured that if I can make my own beer that equaled the goodness that came from homemade jerky, there would be nothing to lose. I am glad I came to this board, and I hope to be brewing by the years end.

Good to have you with us, jokers. Glad to hear that AB's show got you interested. Read up, ask questions, and you'll be brewing before you know it :)

Welcome to the board. I think I read a transcript of that Amber Waves episode before I found this board too. I think I can safely say you'll learn a lot more about brewing here than with Alton...and this place is almost as entertaining. ;)

I think I've seen most if not all of the Good Eats episodes too...and I have a few of them on DVD that I watch over and over again. He's incredibly funny (IMHO), and you learn not only how to do things, but why. The Amber Waves episode tho...it just wasn't one of his best. I guess if it gets people hooked tho, then it's a good thing. :cool:

jokers10 said:
I have been watching good eats for the last year, and I have probably seen every episode. The only reason I came to this board is because AB got me interested. I made his homemade beef jerky recipe, and figured that if I can make my own beer that equaled the goodness that came from homemade jerky, there would be nothing to lose. I am glad I came to this board, and I hope to be brewing by the years end.

I'm hijacking horribly here, but the episode I want to re-create is "Where's there's smoke, there's fish". I REALLY want to smoke my own fish. Good stuff. Hard to get the smoked fish smell off the hands though....

El Pistolero said:
I think I've seen most if not all of the Good Eats episodes too...and I have a few of them on DVD that I watch over and over again. He's incredibly funny (IMHO), and you learn not only how to do things, but why. The Amber Waves episode tho...it just wasn't one of his best. I guess if it gets people hooked tho, then it's a good thing. :cool:

Me too. I've seen all of them and frequently take them from the Tivo to DVDs. One of my faves is the one about strawberries, where he is using dry ice to flash freeze the berries, and he warns viewers about freezing thier faces off. Good Eats. Good stuff.

ORRELSE said:
...the episode I want to re-create is "Where's there's smoke, there's fish". I REALLY want to smoke my own fish...

That one was on again a few days ago. I've wanted to try my hand at smoking a big hunk o' salmon on my smoker, too. :D

Rhoobarb said:
That one was on again a few days ago. I've wanted to try my hand at smoking a big hunk o' salmon on my smoker, too. :D

Yeah, I TIVO'd it. :D

I'm not so big on smoked salmon, but same concept I'd guess. Its rockfish season here right now and I'd like to get a few of those on a smoker.
I'm looking for an excuse to get a smoker--just might do that next weekend after we go out on the Chesapeake bay for rockfish.....

The fish we always had in WI when I was a kid were chubs. Small little buggers and a crapload of bones, but SOFA KING good!!!!!

ORRELSE said:
...The fish we always had in WI when I was a kid were chubs. Small little buggers and a crapload of bones, but SOFA KING good!!!!!

Yah, hey, dem chubs is good eatin' dere during a packers game, yah! ;)

I have always wanted to brew my own beer, I just thought it was way to complicated and expensive so I never pursued it. Altons show on brewing accomplished one thing, it showed me that brewing beer is fairly cheap and not that difficult, I placed my order for brewing equipment a few days after seeing the show.

I have a warm place in my wee little heart for Alton. I had no idea you could brew up good beer. I used to like that store-bought dribble, but was getting pretty tired of the same old crap. Then I saw Alton's show. Well, it was love at first sight.

I don't recommend taking many pointers from him. Question is...Is he really a home :cool: brewer? Is he really one of us? I'd like to think so.

gibfried said:
I don't recommend taking many pointers from him. Question is...Is he really a home :cool: brewer? Is he really one of us? I'd like to think so.

Judging from his improper terminology and questionable procedures, I would say that he is NOT a homebrewer. He might have brewed one or two batches in preparation for the show, but I don't think he's made a hobby out of it.

-walker

gibfried said:
He's not a home brewer (mainly because he spends much of his time traveling around in a motor home), but he's definately one of us. :cool:

I am the household cook and a Good Eats fan, as I appreciate the food science and variety of techniques he shows in general. Oh, sure, the goofy humor is a kick, too. The puppet bacteria coming out of his mole was a bit much, though.

I am one of those people some of you mentioned, who saw that episode and decided to home brew. I am using the recipe recommended by my local brew supply store guru, but I liked his show for some of the techniques.

I'll stick with LME-based brewing plus hops for now, but look forward to adding grains, etc. and understanding things more.

Rhoobarb said:

I know this is off-topic, and I'll stop with this, but I wanted to comment on the smoking references.

For salmon and similar fish, you need to COLD smoke. That means that the temperature throughout the smoking process needs to be 150 degrees or lower. If you purchase a smoker that you want to use for cold smoking, make sure it accommodates this. For example, an offset smoker, where the smoking wood is not in the same chamber as the fish is good. My gas grill is wide enough and has a dedicated smoker burner such that I can cold smoke. Hot smoking (above 150 degrees) is perfectly fine, but it's not the same end product as, for example, traditional smoked salmon.

Of course, the cure is critical, and Alton's was a good recipe. Have fun.

Thor said:
I'll stick with LME-based brewing plus hops for now, but look forward to adding grains, etc. and understanding things more.

Adding grains will make a HUGE difference and is a very trivial step. Don't to it like Alton, though. (Don't boil them.) Just steep them in hot water for a while, remove them, bring to a boil and then proceed like you would with an extract only recipe.

A pound of grain should cost less than $2 (I get them for about $1.50), and will have a dramatic effect on your final product.

Go ahead and try it. You will be pleased.

-walker

Alton Brown did it! It's his fault for turning us into a bunch of pot-bellied, beer-making/drinking...drunks!

Thank you Alton. :p

He didn't get me started but he did reinvigorate me after my first two batches failed and I mothballed the fermentor for several years.

I love his show also. It's one of the few things that I have set to record on my DVR everytime it comes one.

Back