Homebrewing in Owings, MD!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mldpaul

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have been brewing beer at home since August 2012 here in Owings, MD. I have brewed 11 all-grain 5-gallon batches (below) in that time and have rapidly jumped in to this addictive hobby. All have turned out well and I have learned much from these forums in the process. I recently built a kegerator out of a 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer with 4 faucets, but should have room for up to 4 more. I really don't drink that much but do enjoy the process (less the cleaning), configuring the equipment (my engineering side), and drinking/sharing/learning about different styles of beer. I haven't become involved in any homebrew associations or competition but may do so at some point. Anyway... that is about it. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to those who post useful information on this forum.

- American IPA
- Honey Pumpkin Porter
- Dunkelweizen
- Belgian Strong Golden Ale
- 90-minute Imperial IPA
- California Common
- Cherry Wheat
- Belgian Strong Golden Ale //again with minor adjustments
- Smoked Robust Porter
- Extra Special Bitter
- Cascade / Citra Imperial IPA

R/

Paul:mug:

I also brewed an Irish Red Pub Ale in there somewhere... so 12 batches in 15 months. The Golden Ale, Porter, and ESB are the kegerator currently with the IPA not far behind in secondary.

Welcome to the addic...er...hobby. ;)

Impressive record, what beer did you find you liked most?

This forum has a number of great recipes and you should find just about anything you fancy. I'm not familiar with the Baltimore home brewing scene - I'm in DC - but I found joining a local club home brew club was a great way to meet other home brewers and improve my beer.

I believe a local MD club is CRABS, but I'm not sure if that is centered around b-more.

All the best!

Welcome to the group, from CO. You've brewed some great styles!

The best brewing thing I have learned was to clean in place. I put PBW in my HLT, rinse it through the MT and the BK, then rinse everything with hot water afterwards. I toss the spoons, etc. in the BK when cleaning / rinsing. Just a bit of drying, and cleaning isn't so bad!

Glass carboys, on the other hand, give my back a good workout shaking them with hot clean water! (I know BB would be easier, but I just like old fashioned glass, haven't banged one yet in dozens of fermentations.)

MD you guys get all the good beers, right there in the middle of the east coast. If you like to trade, some people will trade for your local beers for something you might not be able to it. Welcome to the board.

Sorry for the delayed response! My most successful recipes so far have been the Belgian Golden Ale and the Robust Smoked Porter... both are fantastic. I am still fine tuning others. Right now I have a Barleywine and a Belgian Wit on tap. I am also lagering a Kolsch but will soon let it start carbonating.

Hey 521! I am near North Beach. Let me know if you want to meet up some time.

Back