Homebrewing again after 8 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP_Lovecraft

Reaction score
Why 8 years?

8-10 years ago, all the local homebrew shops closed up, or switched to something else (ie natural foods). I remember in 1995, there was probobly 15 homebrew supply shops within 30 miles.

Then in the late 90s, they all closed, and by the year 2000, none remained. Combined with a marriage in 2000, all my gear was sent into storage.

Also going into storage was 8 assorted cases of "special" brews that I would pull out for special occations (ie high gravity stuff like meads, barleywines, imperial stouts, NE Ciders)

Last month, I drank the very last bottle I had in storage. (A hard Cider @ 14% ABV)

This saddened me a bit, so on a whim, I googled "Homebrew in southern Maine", and by some odd luck, and brand new place just opened! How odd is that?

So now, I have a nice Belgian Tripple bubbling away in my basement. The wife has not mentioned the funny smell yet. She probobly thinks the kids have left some fruit underneath something... ;)

nick

HP_Lovecraft said:
Why 8 years?

8-10 years ago, all the local homebrew shops closed up, or switched to something else (ie natural foods). I remember in 1995, there was probobly 15 homebrew supply shops within 30 miles.

Then in the late 90s, they all closed, and by the year 2000, none remained. Combined with a marriage in 2000, all my gear was sent into storage.

Also going into storage was 8 assorted cases of "special" brews that I would pull out for special occations (ie high gravity stuff like meads, barleywines, imperial stouts, NE Ciders)

Last month, I drank the very last bottle I had in storage. (A hard Cider @ 14% ABV)

This saddened me a bit, so on a whim, I googled "Homebrew in southern Maine", and by some odd luck, and brand new place just opened! How odd is that?

So now, I have a nice Belgian Tripple bubbling away in my basement. The wife has not mentioned the funny smell yet. She probobly thinks the kids have left some fruit underneath something... ;)

nick

Eight years, huh?

Welcome back. I would imagine you will soon see that there are plenty of on-line sources for your supplies as well as your new local shop.

I look forward to hearing from you, your observations on the changes that have occurred while away.

nick,

I hear you. I ran into the same situation, here in the Minneapolis area. I was smart enough to stock up an bulk grain, and vacuumed packs of other specialized malts. I remember going to at least 6 different places, for my supplies.

Now I only know of one that is still around, Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies. They moved into a new, bigger building, a while ago, and do a majority of their business via the internet. I really like going into a place and looking around, when I want to buy some supplies. Sometimes I end up finding things that I didn't know I needed. Plus when I plan on brewing, I can stop in the day before, or that morning, i am going to brew, to get anything I might need.

Once again, welcome back, and happy brewing.

Bombo80 said:
nick,

I hear you. I ran into the same situation, here in the Minneapolis area. I was smart enough to stock up an bulk grain, and vacuumed packs of other specialized malts. I remember going to at least 6 different places, for my supplies.

Now I only know of one that is still around, Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies. They moved into a new, bigger building, a while ago, and do a majority of their business via the internet. I really like going into a place and looking around, when I want to buy some supplies. Sometimes I end up finding things that I didn't know I needed. Plus when I plan on brewing, I can stop in the day before, or that morning, i am going to brew, to get anything I might need.

Once again, welcome back, and happy brewing.
Bombo80 - There is also Northern Brewery based in St. Paul. It is on Grand Ave.

Wind River is, I believe, an old HB shop based in the western suburbs. They are now located in western Wisconsin.

Both have a presence on the web. NB has a small, but nice shop with great staff. I have not been to Wind River yet.

The only problem I have with online supplies is "impulse" brewing.

I've always liked going to the local brew store, smelling the grains, seeing what is fresh, looking for inspiration.

I went in thinking about a nice Porter, but left with supplies for a Belgian Duppel.

As far as costs though, it is usually cheaper buying online. It would seem that grains would be expensive to ship?

nick

Bombo80 said:
I hear you. I ran into the same situation, here in the Minneapolis area.
Your town appears to be less than 20 miles from TWO of the biggest online homebrew retailers in the country (Midwest and Northern Brewer) - you're probably better off than 95%+ of us in that regard ;) Try coming up to central Maine where my only LHBS is a section in a natural food store that's smaller than an average bedroom... and the next best is 90 miles away and is not much more than twice the size...

Funkenjaeger said:
Your town appears to be less than 20 miles from TWO of the biggest online homebrew retailers in the country (Midwest and Northern Brewer) - you're probably better off than 95%+ of us in that regard ;) Try coming up to central Maine where my only LHBS is a section in a natural food store that's smaller than an average bedroom... and the next best is 90 miles away and is not much more than twice the size...

heh... at least you have something down there... up here, my LHBS is Midwest via UPS... ;)

Back