Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patto1ro

Reaction score
Apologies for the blatant tarting about to take place. My book about home brewing historic beers is published today.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Brewers-Guide-Vintage-Beer/dp/1592538827/

Vintage_Beer_cover_new.jpg

In addition to the recipes, it covers brewing techniques, ingredients and the history and development of each style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Annnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd...it's gone!

Congratulations! I put it in my wish list to purchase upon it returning to stock.

Cool book. I still have links to a lot of that sort of thing back to the vikings. I even made a Burton ale once. Good stuff. I hope it sells well. I'm still writing my 1st book. Dystopian sci-fi where the main character was a home brewer. But in this F'd up world,he runs a 6 barrel brewery for the well-healed part of the population running this rat circus. Interesting how HBT brings out the writer in some of us!...:rockin:

Will it be sold in the uk?

shipping is only a fiver so no worries if not, just it might take an age to get here

Has anyone received this book yet? Mine still hasn't shipped from amazon.ca yet.

Wow, the Amazon entry says ships in 1 to 2 months. Sounds like the publisher had a production problem. I'll wait for Amazon to say it's in stock before I order, but it definitely sounds interesting.

Wow, the Amazon entry says ships in 1 to 2 months. Sounds like the publisher had a production problem. I'll wait for Amazon to say it's in stock before I order, but it definitely sounds interesting.
Not production problems - the book was printed a couple oof months ago. I've had a copy for weeks. It seems to be more a distribution problem. It is available directly from the publisher:

http://www.qbookshop.com/products/211087/9781592538829/The-Home-Brewer-s-Guide-to-Vintage-Beer.html

Not production problems - the book was printed a couple oof months ago. I've had a copy for weeks. It seems to be more a distribution problem. It is available directly from the publisher:

http://www.qbookshop.com/products/211087/9781592538829/The-Home-Brewer-s-Guide-to-Vintage-Beer.html

...so I've been avoiding looking at your blog or thinking about this book because I've been focusing all my "beer time" on studying for the BJCP tasting exam. (yup, I've read all your classic posts but it actually was a fun thing to study for) Thats done now and I looking for some beer history but your book still hasn't shipped from amazon. I was about to cancel the pre-order and order from your publisher but with the shipping costs ($17!!!!!) and the full list price its going to be twice as much. Have you heard anything about this? Not that you necessarily would have. Just asking.

...so I've been avoiding looking at your blog or thinking about this book because I've been focusing all my "beer time" on studying for the BJCP tasting exam. (yup, I've read all your classic posts but it actually was a fun thing to study for) Thats done now and I looking for some beer history but your book still hasn't shipped from amazon. I was about to cancel the pre-order and order from your publisher but with the shipping costs ($17!!!!!) and the full list price its going to be twice as much. Have you heard anything about this? Not that you necessarily would have. Just asking.
Amazon seems to have started shipping the book. At least a couple of people have told me that they've received copies.

My copy arrived last week. I live in Sweden and ordered it from a Scandinavian online book shop.

I've only had time to skim through it, but man it looks really well put together. I'm hoping to get a chance to read it thoroughly this week.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Hurray! your book just arrived from Amazon. Tonight I will pour a pint of 1941 Barclay Perkins IBSt that I brewed over Christmas and start reading through it.

Ron, I just listened to you on the Beersmith podcast. I enjoyed it but "vintage beer" is way to big a topic for only 1 hour. I'm sure you could have talked about brown malt for twice that and I would have loved to listen to it. Do you have any other interviews or podcast appearances coming up?

Ron, I just listened to you on the Beersmith podcast. I enjoyed it but "vintage beer" is way to big a topic for only 1 hour. I'm sure you could have talked about brown malt for twice that and I would have loved to listen to it. Do you have any other interviews or podcast appearances coming up?
Nothing planned at the moment. Though I will be giving a talk on 18th-century English brewing a Colonial Williamsburg on 14th March.

Just finished the podcast. I'll probably order the spiral soon

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Nothing planned at the moment. Though I will be giving a talk on 18th-century English brewing a Colonial Williamsburg on 14th March.
Please post details about this. I'm not too far away and would like to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew Talk while driving.

Hello Ron,

A question about scotch ale (or at least the styles of beer we in north america call scottish ale and "wee heavy") Where do they come from? They don't seem related to scotch ale recipes in your book? Do you have any old examples that fit the myth (ie, low IBUs, caramelizing the 1st runnings and low attenuation)? Its clearly not as old a style as people would like to believe but it must have its origins somewhere.

Thanks,
Edward

Hello Ron,

A question about scotch ale (or at least the styles of beer we in north america call scottish ale and "wee heavy") Where do they come from? They don't seem related to scotch ale recipes in your book? Do you have any old examples that fit the myth (ie, low IBUs, caramelizing the 1st runnings and low attenuation)? Its clearly not as old a style as people would like to believe but it must have its origins somewhere.

Thanks,
Edward
I've no evidence of caramelising wort. Low attenuation is real though.

Patto, (or anyone) do you know what style was served to crew on sailing ships? Either navy or commercial? I'm a sailor, on wooden boats, and I think I'd like to brew a sailor's beer. I suspect that porter, popular in the 19th century, was probably favored, maybe switching to IPA at some point for it's durability.

Patto, (or anyone) do you know what style was served to crew on sailing ships? Either navy or commercial? I'm a sailor, on wooden boats, and I think I'd like to brew a sailor's beer. I suspect that porter, popular in the 19th century, was probably favored, maybe switching to IPA at some point for it's durability.
Good question, to which I don't have a very definite answer.

In some periods, it must have been Porter. Just because of its huge popularity. I doubt it was ever IPA, because that was the drink of the upper classes. Mild Ale is the other likely candidate. Again because that's just what most people drank in a certain period.

I LOVE this book (spiral bound). I discovered it, and Ron, and the blog on the Beersmith podcast and realized how little I knew about brewing history and how much of what I knew was wrong! The book gives me a better background to understand the tons of info on the blog (and in the self published books).

Will have to read it several more times plus the blog to answer even some of my basic questions. For instance, some beers are clearly stock vs mild while others I'm unsure how long to age. :confused: And would all of the stock beers need to be aged with a bit of Brett when trying to be reasonably historically accurate? So much to learn :drunk:

I LOVE this book (spiral bound). I discovered it, and Ron, and the blog on the Beersmith podcast and realized how little I knew about brewing history and how much of what I knew was wrong! The book gives me a better background to understand the tons of info on the blog (and in the self published books).

Will have to read it several more times plus the blog to answer even some of my basic questions. For instance, some beers are clearly stock vs mild while others I'm unsure how long to age. :confused: And would all of the stock beers need to be aged with a bit of Brett when trying to be reasonably historically accurate? So much to learn :drunk:
Yes the Stock beers before WW I - and that includes a lot of Pale Ales - would have had some Brettanimyces character. But that would be Brettanomyces cluasenii, which doesn't producce a huge amount of sourness.

These are the ageing times given as evidence to a parliamentary committee in 1899:

Stock ale: 4 to 12 months
Semi-stock pale bottling beers: 3 months
Light pale ales (A.K.) 2 to 4 weeks
Mild ale four to ten days

Patto1ro
I've been looking around for a complete list of the beers covered in your book. I am looking for the original Lemp lager recipe. My last name is Lemp and I would love to be able to make it and share with my family.
Thanks

Patto1ro
I've been looking around for a complete list of the beers covered in your book. I am looking for the original Lemp lager recipe. My last name is Lemp and I would love to be able to make it and share with my family.
Thanks

....no Lemp but its a great book though and you should buy it. It focuses primarily on English styles (stout, porter, pale ales, milds, browns, etc) with a few recipe from continental europe. On the amazon page for the book http://www.amazon.com/dp/1592538827/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 you can click the "look inside" link and see the first few pages including the recipe list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back