Homebrew Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfe.Ale

Reaction score
Hello,

I just cooked up my second batch yesterday, its a nut brown ale which is fermenting away quite nicely.

My wife was out when I made the brew and arrived home just after I had added the finishing hops. When brewing, I guess I didn't notice the smell or I kinda enjoyed it. Anyways, when my wife came home, she was not a fan of the smell at all.

Am I correct to assume the only real way to avoid making your house smell is to cook outside? Does anyone else have the problem of their family hating the smell of brewing?

That's how spending money on new equipment gets sold as "a great idea, hon"
Although, You should wait until you have at least one boil over and spend 3 days scraping carbonized wort off the family stove, just so she REALLY appreciates you moving to the garage/deck/wherever.
I guess you have to be a brewer to appreciate the smell.;)

It is a fairly common problem. Everyone in my house loves it, but we are freaks. Really only other way to keep the smell down is LOTS of ventilation, but even then, if she doesn't like it....time for a propane burner.

My wife hates it. I love it. I love smelling the grain before I brew. Do you do AG? , because the smell is much more pungent.

I LOVE the smell, my husband doesn't hate it, but it actually makes my daughter sick to her stomach! I brew on Wednesdays, usually, when everyone is at school or work. I leave the windows open and the patio door open, etc, but I guess it is very aromatic throughout the whole house! My guess it's the boiling hops, because the mash smells pretty sweet and it's not what my daughter is gagging over. I don't like to brew outside, but I will if I have to. I like brewing inside where I have my computer and all my stuff.

My wife goes out for the day when i brew. She doesn't like it either.. It looks like she wil be out of the house on sunday..:D

my girlfriend doesn't mind it, but i dont notice it much after a day really. i love the smell of grains and hops...wish someone would make a Cascade air freshner or something. lol

I like the smell...all sweet malty goodness and eventually kinda hoppy.

Wife hates it. She had no problem with me spending the cash to go AG and brew/boil on the porch.
I mash inside, but that smell doesn't bother her...its the hops she dislikes.

My wife doesn't really care for it, but she puts up with it because she's pretty easy-going. I try to do my part and open windows and doors (when it's warm), turn on fans, etc.

It's cheaper to get new equipment than to get a new wife :D

I had left the spent grains from my first AG batch in a bucket in the kitchen for a few days - my ex stopped by, and said the place smelled like kitty litter! She was right, too :D The GF absolutely loves the smell of brewing. Loves the smell of the LHBS, too.

Latest posts

Back