Homebrew has ruined my taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LMFAO!

Five years ago I got sent to Germany for work and spent four weeks in Munich. When I returned home and tried to drink a bud light I understood why the Germans used the term "horsepiss" to describe BMC. I haven't been able to drink it since. My friends and family have called me a beer snob for years now.:mug:

hahahaha i did the same thing by spending too much time in germany. I was ruined on BMC when i came back. My wife bought me a beer snob shirt. I wear it proudly

This thread is great. I've only been brewing for eight months now and was of the BMC crowd. I haven't had a miller light in all that time, it was my goto beer. I've been too busy trying new styles. So I think i'm going to get some, probably just a single , and see how my tastes have changed.

Amen, brother! I also like a perfectly cooked slab of prime rib...but will also enjoy the hell out of a Big Mac. You have to be an EAC to exclude a food (and beer is a food IMO) because it's cheap and popular!
Beer is considered a food, not just in your opinion. So you're safe there. And BTW Big Macs rock. Two all beef patties, lettuce, onions, pickles and cheese, with special sauce all on a sesame seed bun.

This thread is great. I've only been brewing for eight months now and was of the BMC crowd. I haven't had a miller light in all that time, it was my goto beer. I've been too busy trying new styles. So I think i'm going to get some, probably just a single , and see how my tastes have changed.
Slightly bitter seltzer water. (Not to jump the gun or anything)

I think it's actually valuable for us all to remind our pallates of what the general populas considers "good beer". Not that we should try to brew bud light lime in our basements, but at least you have some perspective on what the majority of people are consuming and are used to.

Beer is considered a food, not just in your opinion. So you're safe there. And BTW Big Macs rock. Two all beef patties, lettuce, onions, pickles and cheese, with special sauce all on a sesame seed bun.

Agreed Big Macs kick butt! I think maybe i'll go with some White Castle though.

I used to be a Yuengling drinker almost exclusively, and I considered it a top notch beer. I got into craft brews about two years ago and started homebrewing last year. Now when I drink Yuengling it tastes like skunked pond water.

My problem isn't the taste - it is that I can't catch a buzz.

My brother and sister in law came over last week for dinner / movie and brought a 30 pack of Keystones (my brother in law loves that stuff).

I figured I would go with it because I hadn't had a beer in a few weeks. Poured into a pint glass - bad decision it tasted horrible; out of the can I could kick em back with ease. I never thought I would be a beer snob - but I my homebrewing is slowly turning me into one.

I ended up drinking more than anyone else and literally didn't have an inkling of a buzz. Usually 1-2 homebrews keeps me where I want to be. Same phenomenon happened at Thanksgiving when I forgot my homebrew in the haste to get on the road. Drank all day, not even a hint of a buzz.

Sucks being spoiled.

Strange.

The more you learn about beer, the ingredients, and the flavors, and the process, the more you can appreciate good beer. It's the same with coffee, since I have been buying better beans and grinding them fresh, and using good water, I am almost always disappointed with any coffee I can buy in a restaurant. Probably the same with a lot of foods, if you learn to make it the way you like, it will be much harder to find a commercial version that lives up to your own version.

Back