homebrew gardening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow my own jalapeños and I've made a cream ale with them. I also and trying to propagate one of my plants through the winter with lights in my garage. I've heard it's possible with jalapeños.

I've considered growing my own hops but haven't acted on that yet.

What are you considering growing to make your brews more interesting?

I grow some hops, raspberries, and grapes. grapes haven't been producing well, but they're still young. we grow all sorts of peppers. we also have a great hibiscus I had been drying flowers for mead and beer.

Grapes, mint, basil, lemons, coffee, pumpkins, promogartes and figs. I want to try hops, but haven't found a good source for rhizomes in South Africa and its been very dry this year. So it kinda pushing it to keep everything else alive...
If I could get them I would probably try growung heather to brew heather ales..,

So far I've mostly considered herbs from my garden. Rosemary and sage added to my saison, and I'd like to add lavender or mint to something down the road. Might try using some strawberries, pumpkin, lemongrass or jalepenos next year if I can find an appropriate recipe, since I grow those pretty regularly. I'd love to grow hops, but the exposure in my backyard is all wrong for them, and I'll probably be moving soon, anyway.

Grapes, mint, basil, lemons, coffee, pumpkins, promogartes and figs. I want to try hops, but haven't found a good source for rhizomes in South Africa and its been very dry this year. So it kinda pushing it to keep everything else alive...

somewhat related: when I first moved to Las Vegas my roommate and I stayed with his parents until we could find an apartment. they had 2-3 pomegranate trees in their back yard. they just let the fruits drop and rot on the ground, but dudes mom would buy pomegranates at the grocery store. it was absolutely aggravating.

somewhat related: when I first moved to Las Vegas my roommate and I stayed with his parents until we could find an apartment. they had 2-3 pomegranate trees in their back yard. they just let the fruits drop and rot on the ground, but dudes mom would buy pomegranates at the grocery store. it was absolutely aggravating.

I know that feeling. One of my friends in town has 12 types of fruit trees in his yard and he doesn't ever pick any of them. We harvest them for him.

I know that feeling. One of my friends in town has 12 types of fruit trees in his yard and he doesn't ever pick any of them. We harvest them for him.

for or from? hahaha!! we give a few of our neighbors the fruits we grow but have too much of for us to use. mostly tomatoes and peppers. most herbs we grow are used fresh but I should dry some for use through winter months. I think we grow strawberries for the sake of the birds.:rolleyes:

for or from? hahaha!! we give a few of our neighbors the fruits we grow but have too much of for us to use. mostly tomatoes and peppers. most herbs we grow are used fresh but I should dry some for use through winter months. I think we grow strawberries for the sake of the birds.:rolleyes:

A bit of both. When ever we harvest his fruit trees he always asks for some of the fruits and some of either the beer or wine thats made with them.

most is just for subsistence farming, but some i use for brewing. I grow 4 varieties of hops, rasberries, black berries, elder berries, corn, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, variety of peppers, squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, and watermelons.

most is just for subsistence farming, but some i use for brewing. I grow 4 varieties of hops, rasberries, black berries, elder berries, corn, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, variety of peppers, squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, and watermelons.

Wow thanks awesome!

Oh, and I also have grapefruit, fig, lemon, lime, Satsuma, and blood orange trees. A few blueberry bushes. I wanted some raspberry plants but i have ran out of space for such things. All of which will be used in beer eventually. I forgot about all my trees. I grow a lot of herbs, but i would only dare to use rosemary in beer.

I grow lots of different things that end up in my drinks. Not a lot of any one thing, but lots of different things.

Raspberries - Red and Yellow
Honeyberries/haskaps
Grapes - Wild Native
Hops - Columbus (doing well) and Cascade (not so well)
Prickly Pear
Watermelon and Honeydew
Gooseberries - Green and Pink
Mint - Lots of different varieties
Peppers - Lots of different varieties
Currants - Red
Strawberries - Lots of varities including red alpine and white native berries (which taste oddly like sweet tarts)
Sour Cherries

I want to try hops, but haven't found a good source for rhizomes in South Africa and its been very dry this year.

Hey, I used to live there! Johannesburg and Blyvooruitzicht. (Had to look up the spelling of that one..lol)

My memories as a kid...1) Rainy season when the tadpoles were EVERY WHERE...every puddle on side of road had them....2) Raising silk worms every year and the little black pellets that got everywhere when you knocked the box over....lol!!

Back