homebrew competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
If you send your beer entries a month before the competition, do they put the beer immediately in a fridge or do they keep it at room temp and then stick it in a fridge shortly before the judging to get it cold?

It depends on the competition and how competent and organized the organizers are.

I know one contest in Michigan that is judged at a brewpub, and as soon as they get any entrees they go into a walk in fridge. So the earlier it gets there the longer in the cold it gets.

Unfortunately, some contests have drop offs all over the place, and they often don't get moved to the judging site til the day before (hopefully) or the day of the contest.

One would hope that the longer a contest has been running the more they have their crap together. If it's a first time contest and no one thinks about how smart it would be to get the beers cold a few days ahead, then no.

instead of an "ask the crystal ball" reply. I will suggest you contact the organizers of the event and ask them how they are doing the storage of the entries. I am sure they will let you know as it is a valid question and the answer will vary depending on who is doing the comp.

instead of an "ask the crystal ball" reply. I will suggest you contact the organizers of the event and ask them how they are doing the storage of the entries. I am sure they will let you know as it is a valid question and the answer will vary depending on who is doing the comp.

And if they haven't thought of that, like if it's a new contest, your contacting them MIGHT actually be of help to them. It may make them consider that.

I've been pondering this question myself. I thought it best that if I ever did enter,I'd give it it's initial fridge time just to be sure it was ready in that respect.

Back