Homebrew Chiller Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhawk

Reaction score
While brewing a strong ale which was pegged to be at 9-10% abv, my immersion chiller had a leak and pumped 1.5 gal. back into the wort. I am boiling down a small batch of wort to try to salvage the brew. Any suggestions?

Id boil the whole thing for sanitation purposes and to reduce it to original volume.
I think no matter what the flavor will be compromised.

I bet you could pitch your yeast and be totally fine. ABV might be a tad lower, but who cares?

Thanks for reminding me that beer is still beer... I got caught up in the thrill of brewing a high ABV beer...

Redhawk said:
Thanks for reminding me that beer is still beer... I got caught up in the thrill of brewing a high ABV beer...

Ah, you'll still be around 8% or higher... my guess. That's not bad! Ferment 2F warmer than intended and you're all good ;)

ktblunden:
Mine is homemade; make sure you tighten the screws before use; I will never forget to check and make sure it is tight again. cost be about 3% off my target ABV. Meh...beer is beer and it will be drunk.

You ever drink while brewing? Ever throw friends into that mix? Ever watch Lefty come back and put things into sudden death with a birdie on the 18th? That's how.

Back