Homebrew Canners - Can Seamers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Kicking around on eBay and see a coupon during this week of the 4th. Ran across a can seamer, and while this hasn't been top of mind before, the coupon may tip the scales.

My local brewery has a can seamer that is supposedly proprietary from somewhere like Oskar Blues. But seems knock off versions are now common and plentiful. Reason of this post is to ask others if these canners work ok? I see the brewery has to tinker with the adjustments to keep the sealing integrity. In short, looks like ongoing maintenance and adjustments may diminish the results of an otherwise cool machine.

I have a beer gun but really like the idea of a crowler machine. Anyone out there have one that can weight in on the pro's and con's? Thanks!

If you get one, I'm bringing a keg over to can some up!

I would love to get one, just ain't in the budget at the moment. Were you looking at the Oktober seamer? Or a different one? Seems like most breweries are using the Oktober seamer. But I'd be interested in how good some of the knock-offs work.

What coupon? I've been looking for a canner. I have an all-american canner but the additional parts to seam aluminum cans are more expensive than buying a whole setup lol.

What coupon? I've been looking for a canner. I have an all-american canner but the additional parts to seam aluminum cans are more expensive than buying a whole setup lol.

Go to eBay (look at top of web home page) and there is a 20% off coupon code...partyinusa. $25 minimum order with a $50 maximum coupon value. All-American Canner (like yours I think) makes a sealer getting good reviews. These are the same folks from WI that make the All American pressure canner which is a beast. The bottom line can sealer is a hand crank version for $769 (minus $50), a flywheel version (still hand crank) is around $850 and an electric model over $2k. Look like the basic hand crank version is suitable, or you can attach a cordless drill to the drive shaft and motorize your own.

I called the company just now and they sent me product literature and an owners manual. Seems this is a pretty simple machine with minimal adjustments. Can use with 12 or 16 ounce cans. A quick search seems cans are around 30 cents each in mid-size quantities.

Last edited:
If you get one, I'm bringing a keg over to can some up!

I would love to get one, just ain't in the budget at the moment. Were you looking at the Oktober seamer? Or a different one? Seems like most breweries are using the Oktober seamer. But I'd be interested in how good some of the knock-offs work.

If you bring a keg over...there may not be enough left to can anything, lol. Think I may get one.

You will need a micrometer, caliper and modified can opener to verify seam integrity.
Takes a few measurements.
Operation 1 width and height
Operation 2 width and height
Cover hook and body hook.

An average machine will have about 5 places of adjustment.

It takes specialized equipment or at least a jewlers saw and illuminated loop to go further.

Luckily it will take a long time homebrewing to run 1000s of cans, the adjustments should not drift after the machine is tuned.

The all american series comes with a seam check tool that will allow you to quickly check your seams.

I purchased mine about 2~3 months ago, have ran about 200 cans through the seamer and haven't had to adjust anything since initial settings.

There seems to be little loss in volume on the home brew scale. When I can a 5 gal batch I lose between 1~2 cans over the whole batch, due to foam and sutch.

As a homebrewer moved to canning so I could take my bear to the beach/ camping and other non glass friendly areas. Also when friends come over it is easy to can a six pack of the beer they like for them to take home.

The all american series comes with a seam check tool that will allow you to quickly check your seams.

I purchased mine about 2~3 months ago, have ran about 200 cans through the seamer and haven't had to adjust anything since initial settings.

There seems to be little loss in volume on the home brew scale. When I can a 5 gal batch I lose between 1~2 cans over the whole batch, due to foam and sutch.

As a homebrewer moved to canning so I could take my bear to the beach/ camping and other non glass friendly areas. Also when friends come over it is easy to can a six pack of the beer they like for them to take home.

Ok, this is good information. The model I am reviewing is an All American hand crank (not flywheel) canning machine for home brewers. Says it will accommodate 12 ounce or 16 ounce cans. Which size are you using? I suppose the height adjustment is needed for shifting can sizes, but do the roller wheels that crimp and seal the lid stay the same?

Ok, this is good information. The model I am reviewing is an All American hand crank (not flywheel) canning machine for home brewers. Says it will accommodate 12 ounce or 16 ounce cans. Which size are you using? I suppose the height adjustment is needed for shifting can sizes, but do the roller wheels that crimp and seal the lid stay the same?

I use the 12 oz cans. but yes to use 16 oz can you pull up the bottom plate and remove all the washers and replace them with the extra ones that come with the seamer ( 16 oz set) that way you can easily switch between the 2.

The lid end stays the same, as it's the bottom that changes height to adjust for the size of the can.

There are some youtube videos of people using the seamer in action.

I use the 12 oz cans. but yes to use 16 oz can you pull up the bottom plate and remove all the washers and replace them with the extra ones that come with the seamer ( 16 oz set) that way you can easily switch between the 2.

The lid end stays the same, as it's the bottom that changes height to adjust for the size of the can.

There are some youtube videos of people using the seamer in action.

The All American hand crank seems pretty cut and dried...hope I don't have issues. Ordered today and got the $50 coupon discount off eBay. Also picked up a box of 12 oz cans w/lids.

I keg, and for some untold reason, I don't like to fool with bottles and bottling. Cans seem more user friendly to me although I wont use them with every batch. When I share home brews, canning seems more simple and I won't worry about retrieving bottles which never are returned anyway. If I plan to can for longer term storage, I may use my bottling gun and purge with CO2. For a quick weekend fishing trip, I really see no need.

This is on my radar but probably a little bit down the road. How do you keep the foam low enough to can? Would there be an oxidation issue with NE IPAs? Maybe next year that will be my upgrade :)

This is on my radar but probably a little bit down the road. How do you keep the foam low enough to can? Would there be an oxidation issue with NE IPAs? Maybe next year that will be my upgrade :)

Marjen, I figure canning (for me) will be a relatively short term storage solution since I'll give buddies some cans and likely take some cans down to my fishing/hunting club instead of messing with glass bottles on the boat.

With Perlick flow control taps, I can usually get a decent pour once the tap cools down, then the level of foam will be minimal. They say to have a slight head, put the lid on the foam, then run the machine once the foam settles off and the lid sits flush on the can. I suppose this slight off gassing from the foam will provide a CO2 layer to protect against oxidation.

For longer term storage if I head in that direction, I'll break out my Blichmann beer gun and fill the can with CO2 before filling with beer. But more likely than not, I'll be canning for short term use only.

Marjen, I figure canning (for me) will be a relatively short term storage solution since I'll give buddies some cans and likely take some cans down to my fishing/hunting club instead of messing with glass bottles on the boat.

With Perlick flow control taps, I can usually get a decent pour once the tap cools down, then the level of foam will be minimal. They say to have a slight head, put the lid on the foam, then run the machine once the foam settles off and the lid sits flush on the can. I suppose this slight off gassing from the foam will provide a CO2 layer to protect against oxidation.

For longer term storage if I head in that direction, I'll break out my Blichmann beer gun and fill the can with CO2 before filling with beer. But more likely than not, I'll be canning for short term use only.
I'd agree. I watched Matt Rodgers can some NEIPA at Conquest doing it this exact way. I sat on one of those cans for a month and when I poured it, it showed zero signs of oxidation. And we all know how fickle NEIPAs can be when it comes to O2. Granted, that can was sitting in the fridge, which will slow oxidation, but with some of the oxidation I've seen/experienced with NEIPAs, I have no doubt it would have shown signs regardless of cold storage.

The All American hand crank seems pretty cut and dried...hope I don't have issues. Ordered today and got the $50 coupon discount off eBay. Also picked up a box of 12 oz cans w/lids.

I keg, and for some untold reason, I don't like to fool with bottles and bottling. Cans seem more user friendly to me although I wont use them with every batch. When I share home brews, canning seems more simple and I won't worry about retrieving bottles which never are returned anyway. If I plan to can for longer term storage, I may use my bottling gun and purge with CO2. For a quick weekend fishing trip, I really see no need.

Totally agree I have had friends drink NE IPAs 2 months later after pouring right into cans with glowing comments I have a bottle/can filler but rarely use it for cans. I have also told friends to keep my old growlers and bring it back when they find something interesting to share.

I did order the AA Beer Can Seamer yesterday and felt good about the purchase this morning which is typically my remorse period. There are 3 models with the most basic having a hand crank, the mid-line model having a large flywheel hand crank and the top model having an electric motor. I opted for the basic single arm hand crank, and after speaking with the vendor, I'm glad I did. $769 minus $50 coupon and free shipping on eBay.

Vendor says: They personally used the flywheel model ($125 more than the basic hand crank) but removed the flywheel and began powering the canner/seamer with a cordless hand drill. He said it takes 22 revolutions of the crank to complete the sealing process, and it takes 10 seconds to seam a can by hand cranking after the lid is on the can. With the hand drill in place, the entire operation takes 3 seconds, no effort to crank, and the can comes out flawlessly. He suggested I try a cordless drill with the basic model, and he offered to send me a flywheel crank later on (for a fee of course) if I wasn't happy with my decision for the basic hand crank.

Of course O2 intrusion will happen if careless while canning as with bottling. If I like this canning process and want stable O2 free canning for longer term storage, I will use my Blichmann Beer Gun with CO2 purge. For quick consumption like going to my buddies house for a BBQ that evening, I'll simply use my tap with the flow control valve to limit excessive foaming.

eBay coupon valid now, and ends today 7/3 at midnight if anyone is interested.

When I was in Black Mountain last month we stopped at Lookout Brewery. They had a can seamer for Crowlers, and we had a beer canned for us that way.

The bartender tossed the lid into a container of what I presume was Star-San or similar, squirted some CO2 in the can first, then filled it from the tap. Can't recall if she used a growler filler or not, I don't think so. When the can was full--and I mean full where the surface tension of the beer had it slightly above the rim--she put the lid on. This displaced whatever beer was above the rim, and thus no air in the can. She put it on the seamer, and voila! Can of beer.

When we opened it at home, there was no "pssst" sound--there was no headspace! Fresh beer.

So I don't think you're going to have a lot of issues with O2 and this seamer.

can't wait to hear how this works out! Opens up lots of fun possibilities, now you need to start doing artwork for your cans, lol.

Great to hear @mongoose33! As @TravelingLight said in a previous post here on this thread, he had a can of NEIPA he watched being sealed at a brewery in Cola, SC. Said he had it for a good while in the fridge, and it was nicely fresh when he finally opened it. I honestly think with the proper care, O2 intrusion while canning can be kept at a minimum. Most likely, much of the oxidation (or at least DO) we know to exist is taking place well before the beer gets to the canning machine. It would be mighty easy to blame the canning process for issues that happened well beforehand. We shall see...

can't wait to hear how this works out! Opens up lots of fun possibilities, now you need to start doing artwork for your cans, lol.

I am thinking about labels, actually! I am thinking in terms of a generic label with my brewery name, general information and attractive artwork, that has an open area that I can write in the name of the specific beer being canned. If I made specific labels for every beer I make (or may make in the future), I'd literally be overrun with labels. I know filling in a small blank space with a Sharpie is not ideal, but it will be the most effective way I can think of. The labels I have in mind will be self apply, single use and water resistant. Just beginning the process.....so any ideas and examples are appreciated!!

Last edited:
You people suck. I buy new kettles, pumps, conicals, and a glycol chiller and think to myself "thank @#$@# that's over, I'm finally done." But no.

20629036.jpg

I am thinking about labels, actually! I am thinking in terms of a generic label with my brewery name, general information and attractive artwork, that has an open area that I can write in the name of the specific beer being canned. If I made specific labels for every beer I make (or may make in the future), I'd literally be overrun with labels. I know filling in a small blank space with a Sharpie is not ideal, but it will be the most effective way I can think of. The labels I have in mind will be self apply, single use and water resistant. Just beginning the process.....so any ideas and examples are appreciated!!

That's exactly what Lookout Brewing did with our crowler--there's a space on the label where the bartender wrote the beer name and ABV with a Sharpie.

My goodness...did you somehow have the sense you were going to end up being into this for less than $10k?

Just think...a "starter kit" will set you back $99 and you'll then be a great brewer. Whoa baby....$99 wont pay your sales tax on the goodies you need this weekend at the LHBS.

This isn't cheap, but then again, we don't drink cheap beer.

They are totally worth it!!! No regrets here. I have been purging with a co2 gun I made and just filling off my flow control taps. No oxidation problems that I can tell.

Love your setup! I think your Oktober seamer is quite popular, but the AA manual model I bought is likely satisfactory to get me started canning. My AA can be powered with a cordless drill which is what the vendor tells me they use.

Your labels are awesome and pretty much what I have in mind....nice artwork with my brewery name (I am non-commercial) with spaces to write in specifics as you are doing. May I ask a couple of things....These look like 16oz cans? If I am going to do some 16's but also some 12's, I may need to design for a 12 (depth) and have some floating room on the 16. Is this your pattern? Also, how did you design your label and where are you sourcing them?

Many thanks for the cool ideas and nice pictures!

Love your setup! I think your Oktober seamer is quite popular, but the AA manual model I bought is likely satisfactory to get me started canning. My AA can be powered with a cordless drill which is what the vendor tells me they use.

Your labels are awesome and pretty much what I have in mind....nice artwork with my brewery name (I am non-commercial) with spaces to write in specifics as you are doing. May I ask a couple of things....These look like 16oz cans? If I am going to do some 16's but also some 12's, I may need to design for a 12 (depth) and have some floating room on the 16. Is this your pattern? Also, how did you design your label and where are you sourcing them?

Many thanks for the cool ideas and nice pictures!
@mob1800 (on instagram) designed both my logo and my labels. He was very quick and helpful and does a great job. I ordered them from sticker giant. Get the matte labels so you can write on them. Mine are 5" high x 8" long so they almost meet on the back of the can. I do exclusively 16oz cans, so 8 inches in length should work for your 12 oz cans and just make the height mabe 4" you will just have to measure a 12oz can and see. I'll be happy to answer any other ?'s! Cheers!

S-met. I've been eyeballing that sealer for a 6 months. Here's a video of a Prepper guy sealing cans. The issue he has with it is that it spins too fast and throws liquid. I can only imagin what it will do with beer. I waiting on one of my electronics buddies to show me how to put a reostat or control unit on the motor to slow it down. Once I know it can be done, I'm going to order one. The price is pretty darn good for a motorized sealer!

OK>>>>>My All American Can Seamer I ordered 7/2 is on the UPS truck out for delivery today! Drop shipped from WI and ready to try it out.

Cans and lids ready to go.

Working on a label design with a graphic artist, then will have some generic labels printed with a blank space to write beer name. When I share beers now, I'll be very proud to have a professional look and will never have to ask the person to try and remember to save the bottles.

OK>>>>>My All American Can Seamer I ordered 7/2 is on the UPS truck out for delivery today! Drop shipped from WI and ready to try it out.

Working on a label design with a graphic artist, then will have some generic labels printed with a blank space to write beer name. When I share beers now, I'll be very proud to have a professional look and will never have to ask the person to try and remember to save the bottles.

Good to hear, I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!

Following this! Excited to see how this works out for you.

Good to hear, I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!

Great! I am working with Chris Chew and I thank you again for initiating the contact with him! I also called Sticker Giant and have suggestions from them I passed on to Chris.

Following this! Excited to see how this works out for you.

I'm really excited too...the canner/seamer is in my office (just got here) and looks very solid and nicely built! Ready to give it a test after I sit down and study the mechanics and design. Vendor says he replaced the hand crank with a cordless drill to turn the machine, but I think I'll use the hand crank at first to get the "feel" of the machine's action. Once confident with that, I can motorize the seamer with a drill on slow speed.

Great! I am working with Chris Chew and I thank you again for initiating the contact with him! I also called Sticker Giant and have suggestions from them I passed on to Chris.

I'm really excited too...the canner/seamer is in my office (just got here) and looks very solid and nicely built! Ready to give it a test after I sit down and study the mechanics and design. Vendor says he replaced the hand crank with a cordless drill to turn the machine, but I think I'll use the hand crank at first to get the "feel" of the machine's action. Once confident with that, I can motorize the seamer with a drill on slow speed.

Could you share Chris’ contact info if he is open to it? I have been using generic “hello my name is” stickers for mine. They get a laugh but I’d love to upgrade

Could you share Chris’ contact info if he is open to it? I have been using generic “hello my name is” stickers for mine. They get a laugh but I’d love to upgrade

Sure. If you PM me with your email address, I'll send to Chris so he can initiate contact with you directly.

BUT...I like the "hello my name is" sticker idea!!

OK...the verdict is in! I LOVE this new AA canner/seamer. Set it up last night and of course wasted about 7 or 8 cans adjusting the machine...but I got it running like a sewing machine now. Test sealed a 4 pk of cans and stored then in the fridge upside down on a paper towel to test for seepage or leaks. Towel was dry this morning so I'll assume all is ok....plus the cans feel full and firm, not squishy like they lost carbonation. Still learning of course.

But, I love the canning process compared to bottling. I purged the cans with a shot of CO2 after rinsing in StarSan, then filled with my Perlick flow control taps. Made a beautiful pour and got just a tiny bit of foam on top so I'd be seating the lid on foam. A bit of foam pushed out and ran down the sides, but my understanding is this is desirable to eliminate O2.

Super glad I got the AA...now label design is underway with printing to follow.

What suggestions did sticker giant give you just for future reference? Thanks!

Cool I was waiting to hear back! This would be great to take a few beers to a tasting or the river/lake. Keep posting up as you learn more.

Also wanna see the label......when you finalize the design.

What suggestions did sticker giant give you just for future reference? Thanks!

Mainly was relating to the technical considerations used with the design program InDesign and the bleed (edge) that a label is designed with. But lots of this information went out the window when I was told the matte label was basically my only real choice since I wanted to write on the label with a sharpie. I had wanted to print on a transparent label so the silver of the can could be seen in areas, but was told the transparent label material wouldn't accept a Sharpie. The matte is fine for now.

Latest posts

Back