Home Made Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frailn

Reaction score
Just discovered this little recipe for making your own Oxyclean. A friend told me about it. I have not tried this, yet.

1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide
1/2 Cup Baking Soda

I hear you can sub Arm and Hammer washing soda for the baking soda. My wife keeps this on hand along with baking soda, so I might try both for cleaning up my equipment.

I don't think Arm and Hammer washing soda is the same as baking soda.

Baking soda is a bicarbonate of soda so it is thus Sodium Bicarbonate. Washing soda is Sodium carbonate. Might not work the same or be food-grade.

For those wondering, quoth Wikipedia:

OxiClean was developed by scientists Dr. Hannah Howard, Dr. Erin Miller, and Dr. Rachel Williams. The active ingredient in OxiClean is sodium percarbonate (Na2CO3•H2O2), an adduct of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).[3]

Washing soda is the sodium carbonate, as Reno states. Also, like reno, I don't know if bicarb (baking soda), will work instead...

As for food grade, I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to eat Oxiclean either. Just rinse well, it's all water soluble, so no worries.

Great info! So, it sounds like using washing soda instead of baking soda would be the way to go. I'm going to give her a try.

sodium percarbonate breaks down into NaCl (salt), H2O (water), and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). so if you wanted a homebrew equivalent but didnt have the exact origional chemicals, you can replicate the end result by mixing some hydrogen peroxide with saltwater. there are also some surfactants (the slimy feel oxiclean has) that help remove dirt, but those are secondary ingredients.

adding baking soda, while it wouldnt replace or create sodium percarbonate and wouldnt match the oxiclean formula, also would not hurt anything. baking soda itself can be used as a cleaner. people often add it to the laundry. its food grade (as you can eat it) and perfectly safe.

hydrogen peroxide can be used all by itself as a cleaner and sanitizer. i use it all the time.

sodium percarbonate breaks down into NaCl (salt), H2O (water), and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). so if you wanted a homebrew equivalent but didnt have the exact origional chemicals, you can replicate the end result by mixing some hydrogen peroxide with saltwater. there are also some surfactants (the slimy feel oxiclean has) that help remove dirt, but those are secondary ingredients.

adding baking soda, while it wouldnt replace or create sodium percarbonate and wouldnt match the oxiclean formula, also would not hurt anything. baking soda itself can be used as a cleaner. people often add it to the laundry. its food grade (as you can eat it) and perfectly safe.

hydrogen peroxide can be used all by itself as a cleaner and sanitizer. i use it all the time.

Audger agreed, hydrogen peroxide all by itself a great multipurpose cleaner.

BTW, how is Suck, CT these days? I am originally from Suck, RI but left about 6 years ago for SW FL

No salt in sodium percarbonate. (Na2CO3*H202....no Cl). It breaks down into oxygen, water, (oxygen and water from the H202...), and Na+ ions and CO3-(2-) ions in equilbrium with Na2CO3, (with side products of CO2, HCO3-, and H2CO3 all floating around in a dynamic equilbrium as they dance with water).

The slimy feel is not surfactant, it's your skin being eaten away. Really! Sodium Carbonate is a base. In basic solutions, just like with lye, or other basic compounds, the base attacks the fatty acids, triglycerides, in your skin and hydrolyzes them. You are literally making soap with your own fat, on the tips of your fingers.

If you buy pure sodium carbonate, or try it with baking soda, or any other base, you'll get the same slippery feel, no surfactants necessary.

Don't worry, it's a VERY weak reaction....your fingers won't dissolve even if left in oxyclean for a very long time, (they'll probably get wrinkly though), but now you know :D.

sodium percarbonate breaks down into NaCl (salt), H2O (water), and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). so if you wanted a homebrew equivalent but didnt have the exact origional chemicals,.

You are thinking of bleach with salt NaCl and water as the end products.
sodium percarbonate breaks down into water, oxygen and soduium carbonate.

Edit- nevermind, I was beat to it.

Back