Home Depot (Rubbermaid) Mash Tun and HTL Build Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewskitom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew over the three day weekend. I thought I'd share my experience putting together a mash tun and hot liquor tank.

I picked up a false bottom and a couple of Fermentap Weldless Spigot Kits (WL301) from my LBS, and two 10 gallon coolers from my neighborhood Home Depot.

First of all, the coolers required NO drilling to accommodate the bulkhead. I removed the spigot and the bulkhead fit perfectly in the existing hole in the cooler. Yea!

The coolers came with just a white gasket on the inside of the cooler.
I reused the white gasket on the inside and the red washer that came with the spigot on the outside.

Qdz5tS

Getting the bulkhead through the white gasket was a bit of a struggle, but it did fit. There wasn't enough depth on the bulkhead to include the stainless steel washer, so I just omitted it.

A cheap 1 1/4" socket from my local auto part store made the installation very easy.

It took just a couple of minutes per cooler to convert and I had no leaks throughout a 1 hour mash and > 1 hour sparge. I'm totally happy with the end result.

Last edited:
I just did the same build without as much luck. I ended up using some water housing silicone sealant.

Don't trust the volume markers on the Rubbermaid cooler. I have one in addition to an igloo - the igloo is pretty much spot on but the Rubbermaid is off by over 2 pints by the time you get to 10 gal

Don't trust the volume markers on the Rubbermaid cooler. I have one in addition to an igloo - the igloo is pretty much spot on but the Rubbermaid is off by over 2 pints by the time you get to 10 gal

Something is off. My kettle and rubbermaid tun do not measure the same.

Back