Home Beer Canning - in cans not bottles. Any interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canlogik

Reaction score
We are working on a short run digital print project involving cans and over a beer thought "hey, it would be neat to make what we're doing available to home brewers" but have no idea if anyone is interested. Figured best way was to just ask.

So, the question we have, in a very unscientific-market-researchy type way,

Would anyone here who does home brewing like to be able to put their beer in cans, like real 12oz beer cans?

If so, what would be important to you? Would you be ok with a "standardized" can that said "homebrew" on it and had a blank area to write in what was in it? Would you be ok with totally blank cans that you could then label any way you wanted at a lower cost? Would you be interested in uber-short run (like 12 or 24) printed any way you wanted directly on the can (i.e. fully custom with your artwork) for a fee?

On the can closing side of things....in order to close the cans you need a seamer which is an expense. Small manual ones start at about $200 and small electrics are a bit more. Would this be a barrier to you trying beer canning in beer cans? It takes a few seconds to lid a can, a bit slower than capping. Upside is obviously the durability, lightweight nature of it, cost and lack of light inside the can.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated as we try to figure out if this makes sense for folks, or chalk it up to a neat idea and just go have another beer.

For me, I would think the cost compared to bottling will be a down side to home brew cans. A wing capper and caps are relatively inexpensive and the bottles can be reused. Also, to condition in a can will be a PITA since you won't be able to see the yeast in the can and stop it from getting into the glass. Great idea, just not sure it's time has come. Just my opinion.

If so, what would be important to you? Would you be ok with a "standardized" can that said "homebrew" on it and had a blank area to write in what was in it? Would you be ok with totally blank cans that you could then label any way you wanted at a lower cost? Would you be interested in uber-short run (like 12 or 24) printed any way you wanted directly on the can (i.e. fully custom with your artwork) for a fee?

I would think you would have a better market if all three opinons were available

Would this be a barrier to you trying beer canning in beer cans?

Big time.

I would want both blank cans and custom prints for a fee. I would mostly get blanks but would like the option for custom prints for special brews.

I would love to can my homebrew but $200 would be a huge barrier considering what a wing capper and bottle caps cost.

One other thought... Is beer cans would seem to be a one time use type of product. So you wouldn't use it for your everyday beers unless money was no object. Otherwise bottles make more sense because you would have to constantly buy cans. Further retail space for sales and storage of empties at home would be a problem.

BigB said:
One other thought... Is beer cans would seem to be a one time use type of product. So you wouldn't use it for your everyday beers unless money was no object. Otherwise bottles make more sense because you would have to constantly buy cans. Further retail space for sales and storage of empties at home would be a problem.

I would buy cans for the option of taking them floating or to other such activities where glass isn't ok or high packing efficiency is needed.

I would be very interested in a product that would be similar to the hard aluminum bottles that you find Bud or Bud lite in today...only in can form. That way you could re-use them and they would be much more durable than the thin stuff. It would be cool if they had twist off disposable lids that you could pop open, exactly like a normal beer can. Just toss on a new lid when bottling and your good to go. I thought I read somewhere that Japan had such a product, but I have never been able to find it through online research.

Another thing to note is that new cans don't require cleaning, just sanitizing. That would save some time as I know I don't like cleaning bottles out that somebody left sit or that were given to me/scavenged from a recycling center. And giving them away wouldn't cost you your bottles...maybe doesn't matter that much but thought I'd mention.

As cool as the idea is, the cost would probably keep you from selling to more than one or two people.
After the $200 investment in the "capper", who's to say a guy would be able to get cans after the first run?

The cans would be kind of cool, but I think to most homebrewers it would be a novelty. Something that you might do a half case of one time, or maybe a time or two per year.

Certainly something that you should be able to sell as a service to local homebrewers.
If there were someplace close by I could see going in with a bottling bucket, carboy or keg and filling cans for a batch if the cost was reasonable.

My vote is go have another beer.
You might sell more than I expect, but you would have to invest and have short odds of getting a return to make it worth it.

I kind of like the idea. If a manual seamer could be had in the $200 range, I must admit I've spent more on dumber things. What would the cost of the cans be?

BrewmeisterSmith said:
I would be very interested in a product that would be similar to the hard aluminum bottles that you find Bud or Bud lite in today...only in can form. That way you could re-use them and they would be much more durable than the thin stuff. It would be cool if they had twist off disposable lids that you could pop open, exactly like a normal beer can. Just toss on a new lid when bottling and your good to go. I thought I read somewhere that Japan had such a product, but I have never been able to find it through online research.

This would be awesome. Reusable and without the need for a Seamer would be a great way to go. Something with a screw on cap. Like this http://craftcans.com/cards/big_cards/skchaka.jpg

Kind of close... (16oz, screw off, resealable):

CoorsLightAlumBot.jpg

I've got a bunch from a recent party, they're like little mini-growlers that won't break if dropped.

BrewmeisterSmith said:

Love this idea!!

I've always been fascinated with canning homebrew, I think it takes one great
invention by someone to reduce the cost of the seamer. I'd love to work on it, but I can't find any brewery willing to sell me a dozen blank cans to tinker with. I really like the idea but the money is in the seamer not cans.

I think this would be good for new brewers who haven't invested in any bottling equipment. The $200 dollar barrier would make me not buy it because I've already got a ton of bottles, bottling equipment, trees, sanitizers, etc. If I was starting off and canning was easy and cheap post the $200 investment I might go for it.

If they were white with a matte coating on them so I could sharpie or put stickers on them that would be awesome.

Kind of close... (16oz, screw off, resealable):

I've got a bunch from a recent party, they're like little mini-growlers that won't break if dropped.

EXACTLY! I wish I could buy these brand-new, with unbroken screw-on caps, and blank with no ugly miller/coors logo on the side.

Ryush806 said:
I would buy cans for the option of taking them floating or to other such activities where glass isn't ok or high packing efficiency is needed.

100x this! I love to camp and be outdoors where bottles aren't copacetic.

But $200 bucks for a seamer just won't do. You'd have to hit around $50 bucks just to even get me to look up.

To the other gent that spoke about conditioning in a can, I think the better avenue is to can from the keg.

45_70sharps said:
Certainly something that you should be able to sell as a service to local homebrewers.
If there were someplace close by I could see going in with a bottling bucket, carboy or keg and filling cans for a batch if the cost was reasonable.

This is an amazing idea. If there are any homebrew store owners reading, you may want to look into this!

Probably the best marketing tactic would be to try and sell the product to brew clubs.
There aren't any near me or I would have thought of that begin with.
If you had 5 guys go in on the cost of the capper it would be a pretty economical way to go.

No interest in cans.

Bottles are so very cheap for me, easy to clean so I don't have to spend money on new cans each batch.

If I wanted to take beer on the river or backpacking or whatever, I could simply bottle in plastic bottles.

A brewery near(ish) to me buys their special edition cans in bulk with a generic label and just adds a sticker to each one according to whatever special beer they put in it. Saves a bunch on can costs and when the sticker is applied it really looks like a unique label.

Your LHBS might be willing to invest in the seamer and loan/rent it out if they could make any mioney selling the empty new cans.

+1 on the LHBS buying a steamer or two and loaning/renting it out (my LHBS does that with corkers since not everyone needs to use them very often). But on that same point you may cork something special once or twice a year, while canning seems to be the opposite of fancy, more economical and for the "everyday" type brews, so who knows if that would fly.

i know this tread died a while ago, but where do you get a seamer for $200?

Back