Home Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Poggetti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sup friends. I'm currently in the process of getting pricing from contractors for adding a master suite (bed/bath) and doubling the size of our living room on our house. We are extending the whole house minus the garage forward closer to the street for an additional ~450 sq ft. The permit is approved pending a few boiler plate checklist items which will get taken care of down the line.

We're working with these contractors to figure out the trims, windows, doors, finishes, etc. It's very overwhelming.

I'm an electrical contractor myself (not an electrician myself, but been around the block a good bit), so I'm having my own electricians take care of the lighting and power. But other than that my experience of construction is pretty limited.

I'm mostly curious to ask for those of you who have done this sort of project on their home before, what tips can you give me? Luckily I've got my dad to help hold my hand through everything and give his input. I'm doing my best to take his advice since he's been through a few home remodels, but on the same note he's more traditional and my wife and I prefer more rustic style.

Anyways, like I said - Would love to hear about other's experiences throwing all sorts of money at their home for something like this. We're getting close to starting, it's both exciting and nerve-racking.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but two items come to mind.

First, try to have everything accounted for. "Change orders" are expensive! The contractor already has you committed and may charge heavily on "change orders".

Secondly, while many view building inspectors negatively, realize they are there to help you, the homeowner. I have seen where generals and subs have taken "short cuts" that the building inspector spotted and I did not. They really are there to protect the consumer.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck on your expansion!

Thanks, CodeSection. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Just general advices since I left it general and didn't specify too much about the project itself. Just looking for things that you wouldn't think of before you sign the contract.

I'm definitely aware of change orders - I'm a subcontractor myself and while we only deal in commercial work, I do know all about them. The goal is to try and get ahead of all the possible adds or changes that may come down the line but I also know it's pretty tough to make sure every little detail is accounted for, so I know change orders would come no matter how prepared I was. As I've found from refreshing my kitchen, when you open up walls in an old house, something always pops up.

Good tip with the inspectors. I've already met with one GC who looked at my plans, asked what was wrong with my architect, then showed me how he would have designed to to get around the inspections. I was turned off by that even though it would have saved a good chunk of change.

Appreciate the input. Just trying to talk to people who have been down this road before as it's hard to not get overwhelmed.

Latest posts

Back