Holy Dry Yeast Hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
so i made a batch of a rye ipa a week ago, it still ain't bubbling! this is the first time i've used dry yeast (safale S-04) and i'm a tad confused. the first time i pitched the wort was at 70F, i rehydrated the yeast in sterile 70F water, let it sit for 15 mins and pitched. 2 days ago, realizing it still wasn't doing anything, i pitched another pack of S-04, rehydrated to 70F, reaerated and repitched. today, still nada! except maybe a bubble every 2 minutes. i'm pretty sure this isn't normal and unless i have junk luck and bought 2 consecutive packs of dead yeast, i really haven't the foggiest what to do. other than, as most things imply, BE PATIENT. a week seems a little long though.

my main concern is because i'm making another brew tonight, and was also going to use dry yeast. after some research, i guess a good way to check if the yeast is good is to add some dme and if it starts bubbling, she's good. i guess i'm either going to do that and hope for the best, or run screaming down to portsmouth to get some wyeast.

you probably do NOT have any dead yeast, but perhaps a leak elsewhere for the CO2 to escape - quite rare for packages of dry yeast to be dead.

on your Rye IPA, sanitize a turkey baster and carefully pull a clean sample, test the gravity with your hydrometer - if your reading is low (1.015 or lower) then everything is fine - leave it be.

Bubbles mean nada - especially in a bucket, which have notoriously leaky seals. The only way to know if you have fermentation is to check your gravity.

My last brew, also a IPA, did not bubble one bit. Bottled it today at its expected FG, don't trust the bubbles they are deceitful little gits.

Back