Holiday Extract kit from start to finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. The addition of the candy canes and cinnamon should make for an interesting brew.

Looks good! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. The addition of the candy canes and cinnamon should make for an interesting brew.

I tried the sample I took for the OG reading and it tasted pretty interesting! I accidentally threw in the flavoring hops 10 minutes early but I don't think that should make too much of a difference. I love hoppy beer anyway so I'm not too worried.

I know it can be difficult to get a good boil on a stovetop, but it is best to leave the lid off during the boil. A lot of off flavors become volatile and if you had a lid on, those drip right back into the pot.

If you have problems with boilovers, try using a defoaming agent.

Looks like a fun day!

Eric

I know it can be difficult to get a good boil on a stovetop, but it is best to leave the lid off during the boil. A lot of off flavors become volatile and if you had a lid on, those drip right back into the pot.

If you have problems with boilovers, try using a defoaming agent.

Looks like a fun day!

Eric

Thanks for the tip! My lid has a hole in it for the wort chiller so there is always a fair amount of steam escaping. I also usually only leave the lid on when bringing to boil otherwise it takes FOREVER (i'll leave it 1/2 on and off depends really). I'm probably going to get a burner and just it do outside next time. I think my next step is Apfelwein

Yes as stated above, don't put the lid on during boiling, I believe it is DMS that is boiled off, and you don't want that returning to the wort. One last tip, star-san is a wet contact sanitizer, if you let it dry, its no longer sanitized. Just dump out the liquid right before putting the wort in it.

Yes as stated above, don't put the lid on during boiling, I believe it is DMS that is boiled off, and you don't want that returning to the wort. One last tip, star-san is a wet contact sanitizer, if you let it dry, its no longer sanitized. Just dump out the liquid right before putting the wort in it.

Thanks for the information! I've already learned two new things in this thread. I use star stan for everything, but I usually don't let it really dry. For example, I understand that the foam is harmless, but I've found that I have to keep the opening of the carboy dry otherwise the rubber stopped I have will start climbing up and won't stay in.

As for using it for bottling, I have it timed out pretty well that by the time I am ready to go, a majority of the bubbles are out of the bottles, but there is still enough inside to keep it sanitized.

If there are better ways (or products) to do it, I'd love to hear about it. I haven't had any problems yet (save one bottle of porter that was overcarbed and smelled/tasted a little funky).

Back