Hogaarden High Final Gravity 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
This was my 18th brew but first time trying this style. The OG came in 4 point low at 1.044. I pitched a 3 little starter of M21 Belgian Wit Yeast by Mangrove Jack at 80 degrees. Within 24 hours i could smell the CO2 in my fermentation chamber (freezer chest). This one bucket doesn't seal well so i wasn't concerned that the airlock wasn't bubbling. after 5 days I opened up the bucket and noticed there was a high kraizen ring and the gravity was 1.020. So i am thinking 5 days not big deal. I stirred it with a sanitized spoon and put the cover back on and let it sit. I checked the gravity at 10 days then 14 days and it is still at 1.020. The recipe stated 1.011. I was thinking that maybe the yeast or cloudiness was throwing off the SG. So i took the gravity sample and cold crashed it for 24 hours and retook the SG and it was still 1.020. Any advice is welcome on what could be done to get the SG closer to the intended FG.

I used the all grain recipe from BYO.

https://byo.com/mead/item/1747-hoegaardenwit

I've only use Mangrove Jack's yeast once (M44) and it also stalled, leaving 8 points on the table. I considered adding a cup of sugar to see if I could get the yeast going but figured if that didn't work, I'd be sitting about where you are, whereas mine is still pretty drinkable.
I bumped my temp up to 72F and I'll see if that helps any over the next week but I probably won't give MJ another try.

it also happened to me the same. I completed the fermentation by adding a rehydrated us05 11g

I have read that M21 can get temporarily stuck at a higher gravity, but that with time, and possibly heat, it will finish eventually.

my blanche OG1.048 stopped at 1020. I raised the temperature to 23 ° C for a week without results and then I added a pack of us05

I dissolved some sugar in water and put it into my fermenter. When i opened the bucket i noticed that it was fermenting again. I dumped the sugar in for good measures. I hope it gets down to where it needs to be.

Back