HLT Stirring motor Too Hot??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I bought a used Molon 63rpm motor based off somebody elses thread about using it to stir the HLT water.
The motor is "internally thermal protected" but when looking up a data sheet for the motor its primarily used in copy machines and small non heated applications.
Once my HLT reaches a high temp close to 120 it starts making noise like it isn't enjoying the high heat.

Anyone else use this motor and if so what do you do? Run it hot or add a heat sink and a cooling fan?

I bought a used Molon 63rpm motor based off somebody elses thread about using it to stir the HLT water.
The motor is "internally thermal protected" but when looking up a data sheet for the motor its primarily used in copy machines and small non heated applications.
Once my HLT reaches a high temp close to 120 it starts making noise like it isn't enjoying the high heat.

Anyone else use this motor and if so what do you do? Run it hot or add a heat sink and a cooling fan?

What's the purpose of stirring the hlt water? I mean I understand without stirring there will be hot and cold areas but why do you need constant motorized stirring? I stir my hlt every once in a while but don't stress it that much, then again I have rims system and can also direct fire my mash tun so if I miss my target temp it usually only takes a couple minutes if even that to reach temp. Sounds like overkill to me but you learn something new everyday.

Edited to add: Just saw this is in the automated section. Electric rig?

I have a few Molon motors and they do run hot.

Not knowing your model and if the motor is designed for continuous duty is hard to come up with a solution.
Post a picture of your motor and show how the motor is mounted.

I am assuming the motor is mounted on a lid and the shaft is directly connected to the motor without a terminal break. A terminal break (non metallic coupling) will keep the heat transfer from the water to the motor to a minimum.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back