hlt recirculation pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hondor06

Reaction score
this may be on here already, but I am looking for a small, cheap pump to recirculate my hlt water. Obviously it must be a food/beverage safe. does anyone have any leads or recommendations?

I also recommend the tan dc pumps I used 3 of the 24v versions and have for years now.
If I wanted to use 2 of these plus the digital readout pwm controllers, what size dc power supply would be needed?

i use the keg kind mark II (i got it with the stainless head from eagle brewing on ebay for crazy sale price around christmas)... works well for the HLT .. I use a chugger for my wort transfer from mash tun and then recirc on the boil kettle...

ive also got the new anvil pump as a spare, but dont have much time on it yet.. both the anvil and keg king can be had for under 70 shipped if you look..

or get a used march or chugger.. they are way too big and noisy to run constantly like you would in an hlt recirc , but are bulletproof..

If I wanted to use 2 of these plus the digital readout pwm controllers, what size dc power supply would be needed?
Unless you want to run both pumps at once you only need a 2 amp supply.. if you want to run both at once I'd look for a 3 amp supply. Btw the digital display pwm units you looking at, If they are the same ones all over eBay the frequency they pulse the power at is not ideal compared to the higher 24khz ones that are out there they are more for LED lighting. They may not be as responsive or pump as strongly.
Just know this going in.. I know they look cool and to many looks are even more important than how it works. (I'm not saying that is or isn't your outlook but its worth mentioning because some people blame the pumps when things don't work as they hoped) the tan pumps are super quiet you almost don't here them running... I have almost 5 years use on mine..

I highly recommend the 12v bayite. I started on one of those and it served me well for quite a while.

This is the exact one I bought (hard to go wrong for $24.50 on Prime):
http://a.co/34h8Ysu

I'm now running two "China Chuggers" that I picked up on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...tainless-Steel-Head-Homebrew/32793792417.html
After shipping I think I paid about $70 each. They're really quiet and work great. I bought these because I needed 2 pumps for my HERMS setup and I wanted them to match. I didn't need them, but they sure are pretty.

As everyone else has already said, the 12v bayite pumps are small, but totally capable. And the best thing about them is that if for any reason they break or stop working -- they're so cheap that you can just buy another. I actually still have my bayite pump in the closet as a backup.

Chuggers and March pumps are in a league of their own. If you want to spend $100-150+ on a pump...you're going to get a great pump that's bulletproof, but they're completely overkill for most homebrewer applications. Even my "China Chugger" has to be dialed back to about 2-3gpm when I'm recirculating my MT.

I highly recommend the 12v bayite. I started on one of those and it served me well for quite a while.

This is the exact one I bought (hard to go wrong for $24.50 on Prime):
http://a.co/34h8Ysu

I use one of those in a non-brewing application and it moves a lot of water! I was very surprised given it's small size.

Latest posts

Back