Hit pre-boil gravity/volume, but OG 9 points lower and volume lower than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Still pretty new to all grain brewing. I've been doing BIAB for about 10 months. Thought I was getting a handle on things, but I'm not sure how this happened.

I hit my pre-boil gravity and volume, but I had lower than expected volume going into my fermentor, so wouldn't the OG being higher because it's more concentrated? But my OG was 9 points lower than expected.

The only thing I can think is that I did a hopstand with 3.5 oz of hops, so I'm sure some of the loss of volume came with them sucking up some of the wort and I can see that it would take up the sugars too, so there wouldn't be a concentration effect with that, but I'd think Beersmith would take that into account and I can't imagine it would be all that much volume. And I really haven't seen that happen with my other hoppy beers.

If you need more specific numbers and processes, let me know, but I'm thinking I'm missing something obvious.

How did you measure your gravity? I've definitely had this problem using a refractometer. Over time figured out it's good to do a few measures each time I want to check the gravity because they can be a little wonky since it's using such a small sample. But temperature adjustment can probably play a big part when using a hydrometer.

Yes it was a refractometer, but I sampled twice. I've had issues when the sample wasn't stirred properly, but this was after pouring into the fermenting bucket from the pot, so I assume it was homogeneous. I guess I could see it being measurement error. I'm not really concerned with it, as I'm actually glad it's a little lower in ABV. Instead of 9%, it will be 7.7% - fine by me. But I still want to know what I did wrong so I can correct it for future batches.

Back