hit FG in 7 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch ever last weekend. Brewers best Klosch kit., the kit says FG will be 1.010-1.014. After just a week the Krausen has fallen and my Gravity is at 1.010. isn't 7 days a little fast?

it was a pretty cool frementation since I used a swamp cooler this time. the wort was always around 62-65 degrees

I will for sure, I won't think about kegging it until next weekend even if the gravity is staying the same

If you are kegging it doesn't REALLY matter. But if you hit FG that fast then congrats! That was likely some pretty happy yeast! What are you brewing next?

Next brew will be a zombie dust clone. going off the kit recipes and trying my hand at a clone.

I had a lot of airlock action this time and within the first 24 hours. The yeast seemed very happy. I pumped hospital grade oxygen into the wort before pitching the yeast :)

Our club just did an aeration experiment with samples. 0ppm, shaking, 10ppm, 20ppm, 40ppm and ++++ppm of o2. The 20 and 40ppm of o2 were night and day improvements in final beer quality. Pure o2 was a really big change. I am all setup now for doing it in my beers. :D

well I didn't really have the set up but I had some of the oxygen tanks laying around the house. So I clean the racking cane and tube put the cane in the wort and shot some oxygen through the tube lol. first turn of the valve i blew wort all over lol

7 days for a kolsch is not surprising at all. like others mentioned - take another sample 3 days after your last to confirm terminal gravity.

I almost solely use washed yeast (lazy washing, not really even washing just harvesting from past batches) and I can't remember the last time a batch took more than 5 days to get to FG. Typically if it takes off early, like within a few hours of pitching, it's done by two days later.

Never had any problems with the fast ferment, just gives more time for it to settle and rest and be drinkable early :D

An ale with the correct amount of yeast at the proper temperature will usually be at FG in 3-5 days, although some yeast strains are quicker and some are a bit slower. It would be highly unusual for an ale of a gravity of under 1.075 or so to take more than 5 days to reach FG, and that would be due to underpitching, cool temperatures, etc.

My fermentations seem to always take ages. I don't underpitch, I have yeast nutrient. I do ferment cool, at least for the bulk of the fermentation and them ramp up the temp. The bubbling occurs within less than 24 hours.

I got Denny's favourite in a Rye IPA at the moment, it's on day 6. For days 1-5 it was at 17.5-18.5C. It has now slowed to one pulse of bubbles every 1min, so yesterday I ramped the temp to 19.5C. In a couple of days I'll ramp it again to 20.5C where is will stay till bottling.

This is what I do with all my yeast. Fermentation for the last batch took 11 days, the previous was getting on for 20. Those where both English strains. Previous strains I have used have been US strains which seem to take less time. But I didn't use to progressively ramp the temperature then.

My FG was at correct reading at ten days. I bottled from my fermenting bucket.
I put dry priming sugar into my bottles. Then bottle condition for ten days to two weeks.

That's not an unusual fermentation time. I usually let the beer sit in primary longer to clear, but it doesn't affect gravity.

My first brew hit FG in just 4 days, kept it in the mid-high 60's. So it's very possible.

I'm planning on cold crashing. So does that mean I don't have to wait as long to let it clear?

I'm planning on cold crashing. So does that mean I don't have to wait as long to let it clear?

I'd let the yeast mostly clear on their own before cold crashing. That way you know that they are done cleaning up undesirable fermentation by products like diacetyl and acetaldehyde. You don't want to cold crash when they are mostly still in suspension because they are likely still working on something. This may not apply to poor flocculating yeast strains.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed my second batch ever last weekend. Brewers best Klosch kit., the kit says FG will be 1.010-1.014. After just a week the Krausen has fallen and my Gravity is at 1.010. isn't 7 days a little fast?

it was a pretty cool frementation since I used a swamp cooler this time. the wort was always around 62-65 degrees

Many yeast strains can ferment out that fast. However, give it even more time to clean up the beer even more. I ALWAYS do primary for a minimum of 2 weeks.

drinking a brown mild at 10 days and 3 of those days were on gas in the keg

all the best

S_M

Yep. I have an American wheat on tap right now with the same schedule, 7 days in primary and 3 on gas. It's absolutely wonderful and no off flavors.

An ale with the correct amount of yeast at the proper temperature will usually be at FG in 3-5 days, although some yeast strains are quicker and some are a bit slower. It would be highly unusual for an ale of a gravity of under 1.075 or so to take more than 5 days to reach FG, and that would be due to underpitching, cool temperatures, etc.

This ^^^^^ is exactly what I was going to post.

My fermentations seem to always take ages. I don't underpitch, I have yeast nutrient. I do ferment cool, at least for the bulk of the fermentation and them ramp up the temp. The bubbling occurs within less than 24 hours.

I got Denny's favourite in a Rye IPA at the moment, it's on day 6. For days 1-5 it was at 17.5-18.5C. It has now slowed to one pulse of bubbles every 1min, so yesterday I ramped the temp to 19.5C. In a couple of days I'll ramp it again to 20.5C where is will stay till bottling.

This is what I do with all my yeast. Fermentation for the last batch took 11 days, the previous was getting on for 20. Those where both English strains. Previous strains I have used have been US strains which seem to take less time. But I didn't use to progressively ramp the temperature then.

Are you taking gravity readings or just judging by the airlock? Fermentation came be complete and you may still see some airlock activity. Very common. I'd be shocked to know that your beers are taking 11-20 days to hit their final gravity. I'm willing to bet they got there much sooner, but you simply continued to see some minor airlock activity.

Yep. I have an American wheat on tap right now with the same schedule, 7 days in primary and 3 on gas. It's absolutely wonderful and no off flavors.

pitch enough yeast and control your temperature

most of my SMaSHs, porters and ales are in the kegs grain to glass in 14 days and taste super

bigger beers need more time

all the best

S_M

retested today and my gravity was 1.006. the kit says the target should be 1.012-1.014. What would cause the lower the projected gravity?

Beer looks fine and taste fine

retested today and my gravity was 1.006. the kit says the target should be 1.012-1.014. What would cause the lower the projected gravity?

your hydrometer is off by a little, your yeast worked a bit harder

if it tastes good and looks good

roll with it as your beer is all good :)

all the best

S_M

Were you a little low on original gravity compared to what it should have been? Like maybe you ended with a little more volume than expected? If so OG will be lower and as a result FG will be lower by about the same amount. At least with extracts that is the case since the fermentables are pretty much dialed in from the beginning.

Or as mentioned above about the yeast or your hydrometer.

What temperature did you take the gravity readings in. My Hydrometer is calibrated for 60 degrees and I have to adjust my numbers to correct for the temperature difference when I measure gravity. Also did you degass the beer prior to measuring the FG?

calibrated at 60 taken at 62. i poured a starsanwater mix in the test tube and than pour it out before taken the reading. however i didn't rinse. would that effect it? I noticed the hydrometer sits low in the starsan mix than it does in pure water

Are you taking gravity readings or just judging by the airlock? Fermentation came be complete and you may still see some airlock activity. Very common. I'd be shocked to know that your beers are taking 11-20 days to hit their final gravity. I'm willing to bet they got there much sooner, but you simply continued to see some minor airlock activity.

I am primary judging by airlock activity. But the activity despite being slow is fairly constant, about once every few minutes. I suppose the temp ramping will gradually release C02 for solution and account for the activity.

I took two gravity readings on my last batch and there was no change between day 11 and day 15. So it could have finished sooner.

On the previous batch day 10 read 1.017 and day 14 read 1.013. Airlock activity ended on day 20. I didn't bother with a FG but I end up with a few gushers in the bottle after about 6 weeks.

I did perhaps think this batch was infected but it didn't look, taste or smell infected. No off flavours at all.

For the next batches I changed my fermenter just in case, but I still see lots of slow airlock activity.

Its day 10 on my current batch so I will do a gravity reading and compare in a few days.

The gravity of my current batch is 1.014, which is exactly what BS2 estimated. So perhaps it just gassing off C02 as the temperature goes up. I did notice in the pulled sample a lot of C02 bubbles.

Yeah, don't judge anything by the airlock. I've seen airlocks bubble occasionally 1-2 weeks after pitching, but the beer was already at final gravity. Most recently I had a lager that I never really saw any airlock movement even at peak fermentation. Now I didn't stare at it for more than a few seconds at a time, but saw nothing at all. Not a single bubble. After 5 days and only a very thing layer of krausen I got a little worried so I check the gravity. It was surely dropping. 1/2 way through the keg now and it's pretty damn tasty.

Really though, I'm of the mind set that I pitch my yeast, check for any signs of fermentation over the next 12-24hrs (maybe longer if needed) and then just let it be for 2-3 weeks. I rarely even look at a fermentor or take a reading until I'm ready to rack to a keg.

I can see how airlocks can be inactive because of a leak, but not active when fermentation has ended, at least not to that extent. I suppose we are talking about 6 gallons of liquid, so that could be quite a bit of C02 that is kicking out.

Back