Historical American-brewed Mild?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
Would a historical American Mild (around 1900-prohibition) been similar to an English mild of the same time period? If not, what would have been the differences as compared to an English Mild? I did some searching around on the subject and couldn't find a whole lot (as in, none) about pre-prohibition American Milds, but found a ton of great info about those being brewed in England. I was hoping some of the beer historians on HBT might have some answers. :mug:

The closest I can get is "probably similar".

It is important to note several things: Mild as we know it today is not at all like the beers billed as "Mild" before WWII. In fact, most historians agree that "Mild" was a reference to freshness or comparative hops flavor, in the former as opposed to "Stock" ale and in the latter compared to "Bitter".

It gets complicated. ;)

Bob

The closest I can get is "probably similar".

It is important to note several things: Mild as we know it today is not at all like the beers billed as "Mild" before WWII. In fact, most historians agree that "Mild" was a reference to freshness or comparative hops flavor, in the former as opposed to "Stock" ale and in the latter compared to "Bitter".

It gets complicated. ;)

Bob

Yep, I realized that as I was doing my research. I was pretty surprised at the difference in comparison to what we call a mild today.

Thanks for the answer! I assumed they were probably similar but wasn't positive.

Were there actually any pre-prohibitions milds brewed in America? I mean, is there actual historical evidence that there was an American version of mild ?

Not trying to be argumentative...just wonderin'

Were there actually any pre-prohibitions milds brewed in America? I mean, is there actual historical evidence that there was an American version of mild ?

Not trying to be argumentative...just wonderin'

If you mean an amber/brown beer that wasn't particularly aggressively-hopped and sold fresh, then yes.

The first thing you have to learn when you start studying historical brewing - okay, one of the first things - is that there's no such thing as a convenient set of style sheets into which you can pigeonhole beers. The words brewers used to describe different offerings are often the same, but the offerings from brewer to brewer could be wildly different. Moreover, the meaning of the words themselves could change over time; 'mild' is a perfect example.

The word didn't get much use in America, if any. However, the English beers the word 'mild' (in the 19th-century sense) describes are very, very similar to American ales commonly called XXX ales. A British 'mild' could be ale, porter or stout. The important thing is not a specific recipe or grist, etc., it that they are delivered fresh, having undergone no long-term storage or 'secondary fermentation'; 'mild' beers were commonly shipped 7 days to ta fortnight after the primary ferment was finished. This is in comparison to 'stock' or 'keeping' beers, which were drier and more often than not had a discernible tart, acid 'twang'. 'Mild' ales were brewed to 13-14 degrees Plato (1.048 to 1.056 OG) and hopped with 1 to 2 pounds of hops per American barrel (0.5 to 1 ounce per gallon!). English 'mild' ales also usually got dry-hops of around 4 ounces per cask (hogshead).

In America beers brewed to the English idea of 'Mild' were commonly referred to as 'cream', 'present use' or 'table' beer. The major difference is that, according to Wahl and Henius, American 'mild' had a proportion of adjunct (usually maize, but sometimes sugar) usually 25-30%, where the British version was all-malt.

You dig?

Cheers,

Bob

'mild' is a perfect example.
Definitely is a good example.

Kentucky Common is similar to a Mild. Averages about 4.5% abv though.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/odaniels-kentucky-common-1902-a-238053/

For some pre-prohibition beers, check out this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=pp...&resnum=5&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks for the link to the book. I'd been reading various passages from it that I've found at various sources, but having it all in one place is much nicer. Thanks!

In America beers brewed to the English idea of 'Mild' were commonly referred to as 'cream', 'present use' or 'table' beer. The major difference is that, according to Wahl and Henius, American 'mild' had a proportion of adjunct (usually maize, but sometimes sugar) usually 25-30%, where the British version was all-malt.
Bob
After 1880 many British Milds contained either flaked maize or rice. All contained sugar.

All? I don't know about absolutes. Wahl & Henius don't mention it in 1902, but that was admittedly an American book for an American audience, and British beers are given little space except a few parameters for comparison.

Of course the Free Mash Tun Act had a huge effect. But as an historian I profoundly distrust absolutes. ;)

Bob

All? I don't know about absolutes. Wahl & Henius don't mention it in 1902, but that was admittedly an American book for an American audience, and British beers are given little space except a few parameters for comparison.

Of course the Free Mash Tun Act had a huge effect. But as an historian I profoundly distrust absolutes. ;)

Bob
You're perfectly right about absolutes. Nothing is absolute, other than the power of the might Tharg.

I should have said: all the brewing records I've seen for Mild after 1880 contained sugar. Except for a couple during WW I and WW II.

Wahl & Henius drew heavily on technical brewing manuals from Germany and Britain. And what those say doesn't necessarily reflect real brewing practice.

Latest posts

Back