Highly flocculant yeast - Should I gently stir the wort during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
I am reading up on my yeast for my next batch. The yeast is White Labs WLP002. It is rated as very highly flocculant. The While Labs website suggested gently stirring the wort during fermentation to resuspend the yeast.

What do you guys think of that?

I've never heard of that before. I guess if it drops out before you reach your final gravity you may want to swirl the carboy a bit but I would be careful with actually stirring it up. If you do decide to do that I would be very thorough with your sanitation and try not to splash the beer to much.

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

Let it be, let it be, .....

That's my favourite yeast.

Most of the time, (80% +) it ferments out without any problems. Occasionally it results in a stuck fermentation. I find it very difficult to stir in a carboy, but a good swirl does the trick. If you ferment in a bucket, then a gentle stir is probably easier. I've never had to do it more than once for a 5g batch.

-a.

LOL - Let it Be is a great song!

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably let it be, unless my fermentation gets stuck. I'll be sure to use the hydrometer to tell me about the fermentation. I know the target FG and the attenuation of this yeast (so I can calculate a specific FG from my OG). If it stops too early, I'll give it a gentile swirl.

I'm with shonuff on this...I pitch and let my beers be...

Other's obviously don't, they like to swirl (I think it just gives them a psychological sense of being in charge- But I think it probably just annoys the yeasties to be swimming around minding their own bidness gobbling sugar water and peeing alcohol and pooping Co2, reproducing and doing their jobs when suddenly they are shaken to high heaven. How would YOU like it if everytime you were doing your thing...including getting funky with swmbo and god decided to toss and earthquake in your way?) :D

My beers turn out fine when I come back a month after pitching yeast and walking away. Especially if I've provided enough oxygen ahead of time.)

I have an Oatmeal Milk Stout in primary with WLP002 and it took off really quickly, but then stalled out at 1.034 for a while. I tried to stir it and it didn't do any good. The yeast did resuspend, but then within a day fell back down again. I don't think the stirring hurt it, but I don't think it did much good either. My recommendation to you would be to make a starter a couple of days out and be sure to aerate the wort well before you pitch, then just let the yeast do their job.

WLP002 is highly flocculate and has a fairly low attenuation rate. As such, your beer will likely finish at a higher FG, meaning it won't dry out and will have a thicker, more substantial body. If you are looking for a drier finish, think about possibly using the WLP001 or Nottingham.

Also, I would highly recommend giving a listed to Jamil and Palmer's eopisode of Brew Strong where they discuss attenuation. I learned quite a lot from that episode in particular. You can find it here: The Brewing Network.com - :

I have an Oatmeal Milk Stout in primary with WLP002 and it took off really quickly, but then stalled out at 1.034 for a while. I tried to stir it and it didn't do any good. The yeast did resuspend, but then within a day fell back down again. I don't think the stirring hurt it, but I don't think it did much good either. My recommendation to you would be to make a starter a couple of days out and be sure to aerate the wort well before you pitch, then just let the yeast do their job.

WLP002 is highly flocculate and has a fairly low attenuation rate. As such, your beer will likely finish at a higher FG, meaning it won't dry out and will have a thicker, more substantial body. If you are looking for a drier finish, think about possibly using the WLP001 or Nottingham.

Also, I would highly recommend giving a listen to Jamil and Palmer's episode of Brew Strong where they discuss attenuation. I learned quite a lot from that episode in particular. You can find it here: The Brewing Network.com - :

I just downloaded that mp3 - thanks for the link. Information is my best friend (and the reason I love brewing).

Back