Highly attenuating wort mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I generally don't get the greatest attenuation, right around what the yeast manufacturer says or less. I always do an adequate starter on a stir plate, using yeastcalculator.com. And always hit my high gravity beers with 60 seconds of pure O2. I usually mash around 152-154.

So for California Ale yeast I usually get 70-75% attenuation. My last batch I mashed at like 149-148F for 75 minutes and got 82% attenuation with wyeast 1056.

My next brew (an IRA - with more crystal), I want high attenuation but still want body. I am debating mashing at 149 -148F like last time, or trying a step infusion mash which I've never done:

Referencing this article -
http://beerandwinejournal.com/hoppy-wort-production/

"If you want an even more fermentable wort than the one described above, a step infusion mash with a rest around 145 °F (63 °C) for 20–30 minutes, followed by a rest at 152–156 °F (67–69 °C) for 30–40 minutes should do the trick."

I was thinking - 30 minutes at 145, 30 minutes at 155F. Any opinions?

I often step mash at 63C/72C (145F/162F) varying the time at 63C depending on how fermentable I want the wort to be. 20mins at 63C gives (for me) a similar final gravity to a single temp mash at 67C (153F). 40mins at 63C is similar to a single temp at 65C (149F). Interestingly, IME, longer than this at 63C hasn't made much of a difference - I get a more fermentable wort mashing at 64 to 65C (about 148F). This is likely to vary on different systems though.

I often step mash at 63C/72C (145F/162F) varying the time at 63C depending on how fermentable I want the wort to be. 20mins at 63C gives (for me) a similar final gravity to a single temp mash at 67C (153F). 40mins at 63C is similar to a single temp at 65C (149F). Interestingly, IME, longer than this at 63C hasn't made much of a difference - I get a more fermentable wort mashing at 64 to 65C (about 148F). This is likely to vary on different systems though.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Are you experimenting to try to shorten your mash time?

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Are you experimenting to try to shorten your mash time?

No. The time taken is roughly the same. It's the mash schedule used by a local microbrewery that I spent a day at, and their beers are great. I have a HERM System, so step mashes are quite easy (I wouldn't bother if it involved infusions).

Latest posts

Back