Higher FG add more yeast or no

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
Brewed a smoked porter & followed the recipe from brewing classic styles. I ended up with a OG of 1.073 few points higher than expected. I pitched 1 pack of rehydrated US 05... so it was a bit under pitched. I pitched at 65 and fermented at 68. One week later (today), I checked the gravity it is at 1.022 I was looking for 1.016.... So things I could do

#1 do as planned and let it sit on yeast for 4 tottal weeks
#2 add a pack of Nottingham yeast
#3 make a starter with Nottingham and when it is fermenting pitch the starter in to the porter.

What do you guys think? it tasted super smokey, a bit bitter, and a slight alcohol aroma as well.

Yeah, you just have not given it enough time. The last few points can take a few weeks to ferment out. I give every batch about 3 weeks in primary.

Give this one at least two more weeks.

Pitching more yeast probably will do you no good. Is this all grain or extract? If AG what was ur mash temp? Need more info, but pitching more yeast is only a waste of time & money IMO.

Every batch that is over 1.065 I let sit on the yeast for 4 weeks this is the 1st time I check gravity so early, I got a better bottle that has a nice spigot to pull samples and siphon so I thought it was a good idea to check it because I could.

unionrdr said:
I say give it a little more time. Mine usually take 3-3.5 weeks to finish reaching a stable FG.

3-3.5 weeks for FG??? My lagers don't even ferment that long! My ales usually take 4-6 days to reach FG.

Mine can take up to 3-4 days to get through initial fermentation. Takes some time no matter with starters or re-hydrating with a small amount of dextrose. Most of the time it's that last point or two that does it. I like to make sure it also has that 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more too. Sometimes that accounts for the extra time.
I suppose that with a temp controlled fermentation chamber,it may go quicker. Not sure temp controlled environments are solely responsible for quick turn around times. And some of these quick beers I see posted in the pic thread are cloudy & not much head. Mine give good head & are pretty darn clear. Just wish I had better lighting for pics though.

I would. Regardless of where your fermentation is, there is no way that a beer of that gravity is ready to bottle after 1 week, IMO. Not a bad idea to bring the temp up a few degrees, maybe to 70°, to encourage the yeast to finish up. The dry yeast I have pitched lately tends to slow down if I don't bring the temps back up after vigorous fermentation finishes. And you want to let the yeast clean up and get the flavors meld and mature a little.

Sorry, yes I would wait longer. It may drop a few more points, but even if it doesn't I wouldn't worry. Those numbers are based on certain parameters (liquid volumes, ferm temp, yeast health and attenuation, grain used, mash temps, ect....). regardless it may turn out great and be an awesome beer. RDWHAHB!

I would. Regardless of where your fermentation is, there is no way that a beer of that gravity is ready to bottle after 1 week, IMO. Not a bad idea to bring the temp up a few degrees, maybe to 70°, to encourage the yeast to finish up. The dry yeast I have pitched lately tends to slow down if I don't bring the temps back up after vigorous fermentation finishes. And you want to let the yeast clean up and get the flavors meld and mature a little.

Oh I understand that I always give my beer time to do its thing. I just never check my gravity so soon and didnt know if it would finish out or not.

Back