Higher carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
Saw the Australian Sparkling Ale recipe in the latest BYO mag and have it slated for my next 5 gallon batch then into a corny force carbed. I noticed that it says to carb it to 3.0 - 3.5, which is higher than my normal levels in the lower 2's.

I have no problem figuring out the CO2 setting using a PSI/Temperature chart and slow carbing to get the higher level, my question is once it reaches the target will I still get possible foamy pours even after I lower the PSI to my "push" setting of 7?

Thanks in advance.

Theres whats known as the "carb pressure" and the "serving pressure" Given enough time, the carb pressure will equalize to serving usually. But you can reduce your serving pressure if you are getting too much foam. I do this when bottling from my keg. I turn it down to 2psi so get the least amount of foam

+1 above.

I know it might seem a pain in the a$$ but if I'm only having 1 beer I turn the psi down to the single digits, purge both valves, pour, and then turn it back up to carb pressure.

If that's not your style you could always force carb and then bottle the batch.

+1 above.

I know it might seem a pain in the a$$ but if I'm only having 1 beer I turn the psi down to the single digits, purge both valves, pour, and then turn it back up to carb pressure.

If that's not your style you could always force carb and then bottle the batch.

Or you could splice the beer line, extend it and worry no more.

I'm too lazy for that approach so I do like jwalk except I use a huge glass instead of lowering psi for one beer - though I will for the weekend. It takes quite a few days to balance out.

Back