High speed bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malticulous

Desert Gecko
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My sanitizing line:

P1010704.jpg

I hold a bottle in each hand rinsing them in one sink and sanitizing them in the bucket of iodopher. I dunk them in, let in three or four ounces and shake them with my thumb over the top. I just set them on the counter. The priming sugar is boiling.

P1010706.jpg

Racking goes fast with a 1/2in siphon. You can see some dry yeast I added as it racked. I will stir it well.

P1010712.jpg

I dump out a few drips of sanitizer and set all the bottles out.

P1010716.jpg

The 1/2in bottle filler makes quick work out of filling the bottles. I have 54 bottles waiting.

P1010718.jpg

It does leave slightly more head space but it's fine. It goes so fast I can't help but spill some. :(

After they are all filled I put caps on them then line up two rows so I can cap all that can at one time.

P1010722.jpg

Here is the last of the bottles ready to cap and box.

P1010725.jpg

You need to get a bottle tree and a vinator, it will make the job of cleaning and sanitizing the bottles even faster and easier!

I'm too cheap (and broke.) I'm not sure it would be faster. I'd still have to rinse and I could only sanitize one at a time, not two. I'd still have to set out the bottles to be filled. I think the counter would be easyer than staking on a tree. I don't see how it would eliminate any steps? I think it would make two steps harder.

I disagree. I run my bottles through a soapless dishwasher. Then take 1-2 seconds per bottle to sanitize with the vinator. Dries. Then my assembly line goes...daughter(10) fills. Me and nephew(31) takes turns capping(bench). Son (5) rinses and dries bottles. 5g in < 20 minutes. Drying isn't crucial as we put everything in milk crates.

Point being, the vinator is so much faster than dunking and shaking.

Dunking and shaking is probably two seconds in, two seconds shaking, one second draining. 2.5 seconds per bottle. The only advantage I see is no need to drain. I have to rinse my bottles anyway.

What are you using that you need to rinse, that kind of defeats the purpose as you are adding bacteria back unless this is boiled water.

No, I rinse them first (see first pic.) They can get dusty. I store them out in a shed. It's all one movement. Grab two from the box, rinse, sanitize, set aside. It goes very quickly. Another person in the line would slow it down with the hand off.

Back