High Quality E-BIAB System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I am thinking of building a E-BIBA system capable of producing 3 gallon batches. I realized the problem with all of my 5&10 gallon E-BIAB system is that I dont really want or need 5+ gallons of the same beer. I enjoy brewing but as a lone drinker and having friends only interested in bud-light it takes quite a long time to go though 5+ gallons of the same beer. I think if I could get into 3 gallon batches, so about 2.5 gallons after fermentation I would be much happier.

When I take on a project I tend to go all out, so I have been thinking of picking up Blichmann 7.5 gallon kettle with the boil coil and using my current controller after I step it down from 240v to 120v.

But I am a bit worried doing a BIAB with this kettle, will the boil coil burn the bag? Also should I be worried about the thermometer installed within the kettle it seems like it would be a snagging point for the bag. Or maybe there is a basket that would fit this kettle with a boil coil installed?

Any thought?

Why would there be any risk of scorching the bag with the heating element?
The bag doesn't need to be in the pot while the element is on.

1 - heat the water.
2 - turn off the pot
3 - put in the bag for 60 minutes (or less)
4 - pull out the bag and squeeze/sparge
5 - boil as normal

You aren't spending an hour collecting wort, just a few minutes, so mashing out probably isn't necessary.

My current controller is PID controlled so if there is a heat loss the element would kick back on, is this not what most e-biab guys are doing?

One of the advantages of the Boil Coils is the very low watt density (lower than even ULWD water heater elements IIRC.) This greatly reduces the risk of scorching the bag. If you are really paranoid, then pull the bag off of the coil when heating. If recirculating while heating with the bag in contact with the coil, you need to insure that the space under the bag does not dry out (due to pumping faster than bag drains) or you will scorch/burn the bag.

Brew on :mug:

My current controller is PID controlled so if there is a heat loss the element would kick back on, is this not what most e-biab guys are doing?

I might be wrong about this, but I think most folks recirculate if they're trying to maintain temp during the mash. Simply allowing the element to cycle on/off isn't going to result in a very homogeneous temp profile across the kettle.

In my 2.5 gallon system the bag just sits in the pot while the mash is recirculated, the element is maintaining temp and has yet to scorch the bag. Initially I used a grill rack with stainless bolts to hold the bag off the element, but that seemed to cause problems with the flow through the mash. I don't think there should be to much issue with scorching the bag as long there is water around the element to disperse the heat.

I’ve been doing 3 gal batches in a 7.5 gallon electric pot for a couple of years. Bag sits on the heating element and I recirculate with heat during mash and have never scorched the bag.

Back