High Pressure Secondary Regulator - Ditch the Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enormous13

Reaction score
What's up everybody? So I was looking around to put together the gas side of my keg system, and I came across an interesting offering from Keg Connection. I noticed that they offer their secondary regulators in "high pressure" versions that can operate without a primary regulator.

Link: https://www.kegconnection.com/4-body-secondary-regulator-choose-taprite-or-chudnow/

From that page: "We offer these in "Low pressure" and "high pressure" versions. The low pressure required that a primary regulator be used to supply air to the secondary (usually at around 40PSI). The high pressure version uses a high pressure hose that connects directly to the CO2 cylinder. This is useful in certain applications where a primary is not practical due to space limitations."

I'm wondering, what's everyone's take on dropping the primary for just a "high pressure" secondary like this? There's still a gauge to read remaining Co2 in the tank, which I feel is necessary. The cost over just getting the low pressure version is about $80 ($40 for the HP version, another $40 for the HP hose), but most of that would be wiped out by having to buy a primary regulator for the LP version.

Other info: Building a 3 tap kegerator (2.5 gallon kegs) out of a garage fridge that'll still be needed for extra food storage, so space is definitely limited. Figured a 4 bank secondary would allow me to pressure 3 kegs as well as have a "utility" gas line left over for other uses. Not sure if I'll be able to keep the Co2 tank in the fridge or not based on space, and figured the secondary would be mountable in the fridge.

Thanks for your help guys!

It's a good solution. Technically, it's just a bank of primary regulators connected with a high pressure hose. I have a couple 2-body Taprite primary regs that I joined together to give me a 4-body setup in my keezer and it works very well.

20170604_082405.jpg

My first kegerator had several low pressure regulators because I wanted kegs at different pressures for serving.

After a few years I found I got a really consistent flow and carbonation from a very simple set up.
Now I use one regulator on the tank and I run it at 18 lbs. ( my 20 lb tank is tucked away under a bar based on my layout)

I have a secondary regulator set to 12 lbs (which you could do with only a primary regulator) I have a four way gas splitter with 5’ 3/16 beer lines to the taps. Good pours, minimal foam and easy to maintain.

Keep it simple.

It's a good solution. Technically, it's just a bank of primary regulators connected with a high pressure hose. I have a couple 2-body Taprite primary regs that I joined together to give me a 4-body setup in my keezer and it works very well.

View attachment 548197
Nice man! One question, I see your 4th gas line in that photo, what do you typically do with it? Reason I ask is someone mentioned that I may not want my "utility" gas line (for purging kegs, doing closed system transfers, etc.) in the fridge, since I'd have to leave the door open if I needed to use it.

My first kegerator had several low pressure regulators because I wanted kegs at different pressures for serving.

After a few years I found I got a really consistent flow and carbonation from a very simple set up.
Now I use one regulator on the tank and I run it at 18 lbs. ( my 20 lb tank is tucked away under a bar based on my layout)

I have a secondary regulator set to 12 lbs (which you could do with only a primary regulator) I have a four way gas splitter with 5’ 3/16 beer lines to the taps. Good pours, minimal foam and easy to maintain.

Keep it simple.
That just doesn't address my needs/wants...I'd like to be able to drive different pressures at each line for situations like having a keg or two at serving pressures, while another keg is being burst carbonated. Trust me though, I'd love to keep it simple, my wallet would appreciate it more lol.

One question, I see your 4th gas line in that photo, what do you typically do with it?

Usually, it's on the 4th keg. It's a 5-tap keezer with 4 taps on CO2 and one on nitro (the tank in the photo in the post above is the nitro tank). I have another tank & regulator that use exclusively for pressure transfers and keg purging.

20170616_104325.jpg

That just doesn't address my needs/wants...I'd like to be able to drive different pressures at each line for situations like having a keg or two at serving pressures, while another keg is being burst carbonated. Trust me though, I'd love to keep it simple, my wallet would appreciate it more lol.

Then your stuck with several regulators. If you can read and set pressure out of your tank then you should be able to go with the secondary regulators. Maybe get a T for the tank out and run one line at 30 psi without going through the regulator. The run the other half of the T to your secondary regulator that your looking to purchase and split that one with a splitter with enough split lines to run as many kegs as you need.

Latest posts

Back