High Mash Temp - Flavor impacts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegbeer

Reaction score
I was making an Oatmeal Stout. It's the 3rd time I've made this recipe. I made a mistake while dealing with some mechanical issues. Instead of my intended mash temp, I ended up with a mash temp about 10 degrees higher than expected for the first 12 minutes of a 60 minute mash. Do you think that would have an impact on the end flavor of the beer? I understand the fermentability impacts, therefore I think the answer should be yes.

Beer is now carbed and finished. I like it, it's a solid beer. However while tasing it, I'm also comparing it with my memory and physical notes from earlier versions. It definitely tastes sweeter to me. Side effect of my mash problem?

Yes, the sweetness could definitely relate to the lower fermentability of the wort (or put another way, there were more complex sugars in your wort that were less fermentable by the yeast).

Back