High gravity with US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmoney645

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning on brewing a small batch (2.5Gal) of barleywine. My projected OG is 1.100.I plan on making a small starter a couple of days prior. Will this be a sufficient amount of yeast cells? Is this even necessary with a small batch like this? Should I just pitch two packs instead? Thanks for any advice :D

Optimal pitching rate works out to around 168 billion cells, and one packet of properly rehydrated S-05 should have ~200 billion cells, so the one packet should be fine without a starter (assuming proper rehydration).

I always use a neutral dry yeast when doing a big beer like this. It's so much nicer to use 2 packs of Nottingham than it is to make a huge starter.

Thanks for the input. I will just re hydrate 1 packet and let it do its thing.

You should be fine. In my experience 1.100 is about as high as you can go with Us05 (or 11%). I would personally pitch 2 packs though, as more yeast is always better, especially with high gravity. And keep the ferment cool and towards 60F.

Rehydrate 05? Package directions state sprinkle on wort. Nitty does say rehydrate. Confused.

It will work either way. A good easy method if you are using a bucket or conical, is to cool your wort down to 75f sprinkle the yeast onto the surface evenly, wait for 1/2 hour, then mix well to aerate. If you are fermenting in a carboy you will have to rehydrate.

You should be fine. In my experience 1.100 is about as high as you can go with Us05 (or 11%). I would personally pitch 2 packs though, as more yeast is always better, especially with high gravity. And keep the ferment cool and towards 60F.

2 packs of S-05 for only 2.5 gallons @1.100 OG? That's overkill. 1 hydrated is plenty.

Depends on how old the packet it. If it's over 1 year old (which most I seem to buy are) I would go with 2, and Mr Malty agrees.

I use s05 in my barley wine and have never had an issue and that is without re-hydrating. I use 2 packs for 5.5 gallons and works like a charm. In fact my barley wine took 3rd best of show at the fair last year. You should be fine using one pack for 2.5 gal. Somehow I was able to pull 12.7% abv in my barley wine using s05 which is not supposed to be possible ;)

Depends on how old the packet it. If it's over 1 year old (which most I seem to buy are) I would go with 2, and Mr Malty agrees.

All of the dry yeast I buy is <6 months old, but even if it's 14 months old Mr Malty only suggests 1.1 packets, or 1.2 packets if it's 17 months old. Being that Mr Malty is extremely conservative about long term viability calculations, I'd say one packet is plenty, even if it's over a year old.

Back