High Gravity trick and tips...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ive brewed a few beers with SG higher than 1.080 that are not making it to the finish line. Stuck fermentations ending in 1.025- 1.045 when they shouldn't have been.. What have you done to make sure you get a complete fermentation??

My Bourbon barrel aged Barleywine (Oak spiral ;) ) at 1.105 finished at 1.022 w/PC1217 West Coast ale yeast.

I pitched nearly the entire cake from a 1.051 Amber Ale.

I aerated my fermenter with an air pump and stone at pitching, 6hrs later and the last time at 12hrs from pitching.

I also pitched the 1lb of dark brown sugar (boiled w/water and cooled) at about 5-days.

'da Kid

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/brown-sugar-barleywine

What's the mash temp and how much specialty grain are you using?

Otherwise, big yeast pitch and good aeration are the answer. Oh, and time. Lots of time.

Im already running straight O2 through a diffuser stone for 45-60 seconds for low and high gravity beers. Ales or lagers each get 2 dry packets hydrated or if Im using a liquid yeast, a 2000 ml starter...

Has anyone used the yeast nutrient/energizer method of additions each day for the first 5 days? Like mead makers use.. Does that do it?

Im already running straight O2 through a diffuser stone for 45-60 seconds for low and high gravity beers. Ales or lagers each get 2 dry packets hydrated or if Im using a liquid yeast, a 2000 ml starter...

Has anyone used the yeast nutrient/energizer method of additions each day for the first 5 days? Like mead makers use.. Does that do it?

I have used yeast nutrients in beer before. After doing a lot of reading on the topic, it was probably money wasted. I certainly did not get better attenuation due to their addition. The malts we use for beer are loaded with what yeast need to do their thing. Meads have to use nutrients because honey has very little nutrition for the yeast beyond the sugars.

As far as high gravity/high attenuation tips...mash low, mucho yeast, o2 @ pitching and again @ 12 hours.

Pure o2 at pitch and 12 hours later. Pitch at 1.25mil cells per ml per degree plato. Mash low and use an accurate thermometer!! Yeast nutrient can help. Feeding the yeast after the peak of high krausen can help push the limit as well.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back