High Gravity Stout. Dark Lord Inspired.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimer

Reaction score
So I'm looking to have a nice deep beer for my birthday next year (Feb 15th) and decided on a high gravity stout. Looking for a little feedback. Based this on some of the Dark Lord Discussions, but wanted something that finished out a little lower in gravity and had more alcohol warmth. I think the 6+ months that it could age would make for a tasty birthday brew.

I'm thinking of brewing this on Sunday.

Imperial Ink (Stout)
Imperial Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/5/2009
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.55 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.00 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.20 %] (90 min) Hops 63.1 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Vanilla Bean (Tertiary 28.0 days) Misc
2.00 qt Coffee, Cold Pressed (Tertiary 28.0 days) Misc
4.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 4.00 %
1 lbs Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar 4.00 %
1 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 4.00 %
2 Pkgs US-05

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.121 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 12.74 %
Bitterness: 63.1 IBU Calories: 574 cal/pint
Est Color: 67.1 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 22.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.24 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 22.00 qt of water at 173.2 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 9.00 qt of water at 210.5 F 168.0 F

So I hit my OG (1.093) right on the dot (minus the molasses/brown sugar/maple syrup.) I'm going to add those on Wednesday.

Sparge took 2 hours. I blame the oats.

Keep us up to date on this. I am curious how the fermentation goes with just using the two packets of US-05. This looks awesome.

You think a pound of rice hulls would have sped things up a little?

Subscribed.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about 1/2# would be enough.

The reason why I'm adding the other sugars later is so the S-05 doesn't explode all over the basement bathroom. I did add a blow off just in case.

Other Notes:
Mash came in at 155 because I added 177* water.
Pitched at 71 in a swamp bucket filled 1/2 way with two frozen water bottles.
Basement ambient temps are around 63-65, so it will go down a little more before fermentation begins.
I'm dropping the medium roast oak chips down to 2 oz. for 14 days to prevent it from being too oakey.

I'll keep you updated with brands of molasses and maple syrup. I'll probably stop by Whole Foods tomorrow or Tuesday to see what they have.

I think you would want something that finished at more like 1.040+ to be like dark lord. Not saying your beer won't be delicious, but probably not dark lordy.

What did you decide for the syrup and molasses? How's the fermentation going?

Wife picked up Generic Dark Brown Sugar, Organic Blackstrap Molasses and Organic Maple Syrup. It's all at home, so I don't remember the brands.

I put the brown sugar in on Thursday (Day 5) and it looked like it was going to explode everywhere, but didn't blow off, so I was in the clear.

Added the Molasses on Friday (Day 6). That stuff tasted great. It should add another depth to the flavor.

Added the Maple Syrup on Saturday (Day 7) and fermentation was still 2-3 bubbles/second in the airlock.

This morning (Day 9) fermentation has slowed to 1 bubble/2 seconds. I leave for St. Lucia on Friday, so I'm just going to let it sit the 8 days while I'm gone. That will make it 21 days in the primary. At that point, I'll decide whether or not to let it sit for another week or to rack it onto the oak chips/vanilla bean.

Ketchepillar said:
I think you would want something that finished at more like 1.040+ to be like dark lord. Not saying your beer won't be delicious, but probably not dark lordy.
Yeah, I know about the high FG of Dark Lord. I still have 5 bottles and I'm saving one to try against this one.

This is inaccurate. It has been tested by people a number of times to have a FG of 1.031-1.033. In order to really properly test the gravity of a beer with the viscosity and large amounts of proteins from flaked stuff you need to let a hydro jar sample sit and degass for about 8 hours.

This is inaccurate. It has been tested by people a number of times to have a FG of 1.031-1.033. In order to really properly test the gravity of a beer with the viscosity and large amounts of proteins from flaked stuff you need to let a hydro jar sample sit and degass for about 8 hours.

Right, though Dark Lord doesn't have much carbonation anyway. I measured it at 1.033 as you mention.

2 oz of Oak will not be too Oak-ee. I used 3oz in a Porter soaked in Makers and it turned out awesome. I also let it soak for 3 weeks. Could have used 2 weeks not 3. Still good though.

Just tested a hydro sample (after 3 weeks) and it's at 1.028. (12.4% ABV 75% Apparent Attenuation.)

There is significant alcohol warmth. The Black Patent and the Blackstrap Molasses flavors hit you in the face at the first taste, but the Special B (raisiny) and Caramel malts linger on the palette. Next time I think that I'll use Dark Candi Sugar instead of the Dark Brown Sugar. It gets lost and I wish that I had more of the caramel flavor lingering.

I decided to forgo the oak chips. There's enough character with the way it is. I am going to add the vanilla bean when I rack to the secondary and will start the cold press on the coffee at the same time.

As for coloring and consistency, there's a Toffee-Brown foam created by the off-gassing of the beer. It is so black, it looks like a fresh double shot of espresso. I couldn't even see the hydrometer. The consistency is thick and syrupy, but not like a milkshake. More like Karo Syrup.

Now for pics.
utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZXJye.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTYuanBn-1.jpg

Doggah wanted some.
IMG00022.jpg

Any ideas as to how I can pull this off by doing extract brewing rather than all grain? I'm doing partial boil, but looking to go full boil soon, and maybe later down the road all-grain, but for now, just doing extract

JG

I can make an extract version that wouldn't be exact, but it would get fairly close.

Any desire to do a partial mash (brew-in-a-bag)? It wouldn't add anymore equipment and it would be a step closer to all grain? I'll setup all the steps for you and you would just have to follow the steps (read a thermometer and set a timer).

Imperial Ink (Stout) PARTIAL MASH
Imperial Stout
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.55 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 37.84 % - 15 Min Late Extract Addition
3 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.20 %] (90 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
2.00 qt Coffee, Cold Pressed (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 5.41 %
1 lbs Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM) Sugar 5.41 %
1 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 5.41 %
2 Pkgs Safale S-05 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.121 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 12.79 %
Bitterness: 60.9 IBU Calories: 574 cal/pint
Est Color: 72.1 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion,
Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
Sparge Water: 1.58 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.50 qt of water at 170.6 F 154.0 F

The Real Steps
1. Grind all the grains and put them in a grain bag
2. Heat the 8.5 qts to the 170 degree temp (temp should come out to 154 degrees after adding the grain)
3. Add the grain bag, making sure that all of the grain is wet
4. Wrap the pot in 4-5 towels or stick it in the oven on LOW HEAT (preferred) for 1 hour
5. Take out the pot and remove the grain bag
6. Support the grain bag and sparge (rinse) the grains with 170 degree water to fill the pot to over 2.5 gallons
7. Heat to boiling
8. Add Hops
9. With 15 min left in the boil, add the Dry Malt Extract (if you want LME, let me know) and Irish moss - WATCH FOR BOILOVERS
10. Sanitize your equipment
11. Cool as usual & transfer to fermenter measure that with a hydrometer, should be around 1.099 with the top up water or 1.200 without (I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
12. Pitch the yeast
13. After a couple of days, add an adjunct each day until fermentation is complete
14. Add the vanilla bean (sliced open and scraped for the seeds) after transfer to secondary and prep cold pressed coffee (let 4 oz of fresh coffee grounds and the 2 qts of water sit in the fridge for 7 days)
15. Strain out grounds from coffee and add to the fermenter
16. Wait another week
17. Bottle with 4 oz priming sugar
18. Wait 2+ months
19. ?????????
20. Profit!

Edit: with the 6-Row, the Mash should have ~53 degrees Lintner. Is that enough to convert the other malts?

Latest posts

Back