High gravity brew still bubbling at week 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niglodamus

Reaction score
Howdy,

First post, so bear with me.

Okay, so. I brewed a one gallon all-grain, high gravity stout a month ago. OG measured 1.065. Primary ferment was typical, and slowed to about a bubble per 60+ seconds out the airlock at two weeks.
I racked to a secondary with whisky soaked oak chips (dried in the oven pre-addition), some vanilla slivers and about half an ounce of hop pellets. The hops sank after a couple days, and moderate bubbling (airlock dumped once every 30ish seconds) continued for a few days. During those passing days, the fluid level dropped by maybe a liquid ounce or so. Then it stopped dropping and the bubbling became less frequent.

Now for my dilemma. Going into the 5th week, the stout is still bubbling, releasing gas from the airlock once every 90+ seconds. I've read that it may still be fermenting, like a slow primary if I had inadvertently racked too soon. I would prefer not to take an SG, since it would take a large portion of my 1 gallon brew. The volume drop has ceased for over a week. I understand that CO2 production means the yeast is still active.

Could my brew be CO2 saturated and it's only outgassing at this point? Or should I just wait until the bubbling slows to... 3 minutes per? OR should I suck it up and steal a hydrometer reading?

Advice is much appreciated, criticism will also be considered.

Thanks!
Niggles

Welcome to the forums! :mug:

The only way to know what's going on is to take a hydrometer sample.

It may be a slow fermentation, or it could be some wild yeast made its way into your fermenter and is chewing away at what your intended yeast left behind.

As much as it pains you, check it! The hydrometer will quickly become your best friend (along with Star-San...)

Alrighty! Thanks for the responses.

I've considered purchasing a refractometer for the purpose of utilizing only a small amount of brew. How cheap is too cheap for a decent apparatus?

Iodophor is already my best friend, right next to my swap meet stock pot.

Also if the yeast is still active, albeit slow, how can I be sure I won't get any bombs if I bottle soon?

Niggles

You have some options...
  • Just bottle it and stop worrying.
  • Take a gravity sample, drink the sample and bottle the rest.
  • Take a reading with a refractometer and adjust for alcohol content.

Haha those are some simple solutions! I like it.

This brew is kinda my baby, and I'm still a green brewer. I'm not exactly stressing, just gathering information for curiosity sake.

I'm a disciple of Papazian's word of relaxing and having a homebrew. I'm also quite wordy haha

High gravity stouts behave a bit differently than your everyday ale. They take longer to ferment, condition, and carbonate. They can take two or more months before they reach their peak flavor. They may be drinkable early but they usually taste best with some age. Good luck!

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Shall I assume the normal priming rate of 3/4 cup sugar per gallon?

Checked SG last night. Came up with 1.008. My target range was 1.012-1.017. I'll bottle asap.

Question, is it a bad thing that my FG is lower than my target? The OG was on target.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Shall I assume the normal priming rate of 3/4 cup sugar per gallon?

That sounds like enough sugar for a (5) gallon batch. Check your math for a smaller batch.

Checked SG last night. Came up with 1.008. My target range was 1.012-1.017. I'll bottle asap.

Question, is it a bad thing that my FG is lower than my target? The OG was on target.

It may be a little more dry and more ABV, but that isn't necessarily bad.

Thanks, cravej
I've been using about 1.5 teaspoon of turbinado sugar per bottle, which seems to be working fine. The math comes out right. I'm one of those mathing types, so unless I space on something... Well, it should be good.

Thanks for the info. I'll post a review in a few weeks.

Come to think of it, I did top off the secondary with a few ounces of water. That would explain the low FG.

Back